Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Humminbird 997 Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Humminbird 997 Question

Humminbird Greg or anyone else who knows, I have a question. Do you have to have a data card to save waypoints without losing them once the unit is turned off? Also, if you transfer information from a handheld unit to the computer and then load it to a data card, will you be able to plug the card into the 997 and be able to read it? Thanks in advance for any help.
    A&R JIGS - PRO STAFF
    LIGHTWIRE HOOKS - PRO STAFF

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiechappy
    Humminbird Greg or anyone else who knows, I have a question. Do you have to have a data card to save waypoints without losing them once the unit is turned off? Also, if you transfer information from a handheld unit to the computer and then load it to a data card, will you be able to plug the card into the 997 and be able to read it? Thanks in advance for any help.
    I don't think you can save waypoints to a sd card. If we could, we wouldn't have to buy new GPS so often. The manufs could do this if they wanted. It gets into their sales. ha

Waypoints are stored internally in re-writable memory. You want loose waypoints because they are written to memory ram. You will need the serial cable to manage waypoints with the computer. You can manage them manually, but it is cumbersome.

This is my take on it. I could be wrong.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

The data card is only for capturing images, the way points are stored on the unit. On your second question you might have to import the way points from the card once the unit is turned on. I know when I did a software update it did it on its own.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Default Answer may be long but it is really simple to do

Waypoints and all other GPS data is stored in the unit's internal memory and is not erased when the unit is powered off. It can be exported to an SD card but the unit does not do this automatically (the menu to do this is called "Export All Nav Data" which is under the "Nav" menus in the Main Tabbed Menu System).

Once the GPS data has been exported to the SD card, the file can than be saved directly to your PC by use of an SD reader/writer (available at most electronics retailers). However, this will be in our current *.hwr file format and not usable by anything else besides a Humminbird unit or our HumminbirdPC program. If you were to transfer this GPS data file to the HumminbirdPC program (using the "From MMC/SD" function), you could than either export it as a *.txt or *.gpx file or save it as a *.gpx file which are usable by other programs.

GPS data from other manufacturers (Garmin and Lowrance) as well as those that use the *.gpx format can be imported into the HumminbirdPC program and than either transferred to an SD memory card (using the "To MMC/SD" function) or saved as a *.gpx file for later use.

At any time that the GPS data is in the HumminbirdPC program, the waypoints may be modified, added to or deleted and Routes may be set up and/or modified.

Once you use the HumminbirdPC program to transfer the GPS data to the SD memory card (not "saved" by using the "Save" function: you have to use the "To MMC/SD" function for this), you can insert the SD memory card into your unit and it will automatically add the new GPS data to what is already in the unit when it is powered on.
    Last edited by Humminbird_Greg; 09-05-2007 at 11:55 AM.
    Greg Walters at Humminbird
    [email protected]
    I help because I can

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Greg,

I have performed this operation. It is a "conditional" save. You gotta use a dedicated program (HumPC) to do this. Why can't we get something generic for waypoint management?

I know why. I bet it has something to do with a serial out pin, but no serial in pin on the unit? am I not right here?
    Last edited by Cane Pole; 09-05-2007 at 12:10 PM.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Cane Pole - What tongue are you and Greg speaking in? I read both your posts twice and didn't understand a word you boys said. I guess I am just "technically handicapped."
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Hey crappieken,
    Don't let Cane Pole kid you. He knows what Greg is talking about. Every word of it. LOL. After all, Tom use to be a Rocket Scientist. Or was it a Mad Scientist? LOL
    Have a crappie day!:D [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a rocket scientist also. When I step on the left side of the boat it rocks to the left and when I step on the right side of the boat is rocks to the right. When Shiloh Red and Weezer step in the boat it sinks!!! HAHAHAHA!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Not only a rocket scientist but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn...

I'm guessing that the reason that all the manufacturers have their own formats is all due to patent laws or the possibility of being taken to court over it. Besides, if we all used the same format than everyone would be able to easily change brands! LOL! I'm betting that it will take an aftermarket company/individual to develop a format or program that would allow all of the major manufacturers units to be able to easily interchange GPS data. The *.GPX format may be it. There are many GPS management programs that use it and all can be converted to and from it but I don't think that any actually use this format within their units. To do so I'm betting that there would be quite a bit of software re-writing which would cost a company much needed money and personel resources.

Ken, if you need further explanation of anything I've posted just contact me via e-mail and we will work it all out. gwalters at johnsonoutdoors.com

I've designed a couple of (model) rockets which mostly flew in the right direction (up) but no one actually got hurt. I was a member of the "Mad Scientist Club" while in the 5th grade (looking at some of the strange/dangerous/plain nutty things I have done; I should still be a card carrying member!). I have also (nearly) sunk boats on three different occasions. So it looks like I'm in the right place! :D
    [email protected]
    I help because I can

Post Thanks / Like

Oops, missed something here:

Our units do have separate serial in and a serial out pins Cane Pole. Not sure what you are referring to here.
    [email protected]
    I help because I can

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast