Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions on adding 4th battery.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Suggestions on adding 4th battery.

I am going to be adding my electronics only battery before long. I am gonna put it under the drivers seat (a dry compartment where I now keep my peecan). I have a 2006 Pro Crappie Bass Tracker. I am gonna use a 35 ah SLA U1 (wheel chair) type battery. Any suggestions (pros and cons) before I start this project? Don't forget, I lost my "workforce" the other day when I retired. I am on my own from now on... I plan to add a Quest on board charger in the compartment too.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Hey Tom ....

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole
    I am going to be adding my electronics only battery before long. I am gonna put it under the drivers seat (a dry compartment where I now keep my peecan). I have a 2006 Pro Crappie Bass Tracker. I am gonna use a 35 ah SLA U1 (wheel chair) type battery. Any suggestions (pros and cons) before I start this project? Don't forget, I lost my "workforce" the other day when I retired. I am on my own from now on... I plan to add a Quest on board charger in the compartment too.
    You may have lost your 'student' workforce ... but, what about your local "buds" and Crappie.com member "visitors" :p

If I lived closer, I'd be more than willing to help out with any projects ... as long as they were something I was halfway confident I knew something about ... :D I'm sure you could get some "volunteers" to help get you set up ... and all they'd want in return, is a GPS coordinate or two :D

.... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Tom,
    You know my number and know how to get here. I think between the two of us, we might be able to make one person. LOL
    Have a crappie day!:D [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1weezer
    Hey Tom,
    You know my number and know how to get here. I think between the two of us, we might be able to make one person. LOL
    Maybe we need Todd to come baby it us. ha

I will holler at ya shortly. I got a large Honey Do list I am working off.

Post Thanks / Like

I use one of the wheel chair batteries for an electronics/bilge pump battery in my jon boat. It last for ever!

Post Thanks / Like

Tom,
    Please don't let weezer help you install the battery and other stuff. I guarantee you that boat will never float again!!! HAHAHA!

Post Thanks / Like

How do U recharge those wheel chair batts? persons on Hummbirdie site stated they cannot be charged at over 3 amp rate cause they are gelcell. ??
    If so that means U cannot have motor recharge on the run or from some brands of on board chargers. Sorry but I never did find a conclusion on the bird post site.
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

I charge mine with the same charger I use for my TM battery, and starting battery.....

Post Thanks / Like

You can reduce the charge coming from a charger by using a length of zip cord between the charger and the battery. Read about this years ago and lost the information. I think that the resistance of the zip cord looks like a charged up. Perhaps someone out there has more information on this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaxsprat
    How do U recharge those wheel chair batts? persons on Hummbirdie site stated they cannot be charged at over 3 amp rate cause they are gelcell. ??
    If so that means U cannot have motor recharge on the run or from some brands of on board chargers. Sorry but I never did find a conclusion on the bird post site.
    I think it is more about the voltage than the current. As long as You don't overcharge them, you ok. All good chargers got the foldback (trickle charge) capability. They monitor the voltage.

Overcharging (boiling it) causes sulfidation. The lead plates erode. This type overcharging can blow up a sealed battery.

I read all this on the internet while looking up a battery.

I will be charging my wheelchair battery with a 5 amp Guest on board charger. I think it is a smart charger. If my seat gets blown off the boat, then I know it wasn't too smart a charger.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast