Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pickwick and Millfoil

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pickwick and Millfoil

If you have not been to Pickwick Lake lately look out for the grass. I hate this stuff. I know the bass fisherman won't this to be like Guntersville. Pickwick is know from humps, creek channels, smallmonth and BIG crappie. I hope this grass dies out. Here are some pictures of this week.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Brad Whitehead
    BnM ProStaff
    WarEagle ProStaff

Post Thanks / Like

Default pictures

These guys have it made!!!
    Brad Whitehead
    BnM ProStaff
    WarEagle ProStaff

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pictures

A few more
    Brad Whitehead
    BnM ProStaff
    WarEagle ProStaff

Post Thanks / Like

Default These guys with some fish!

Pickwick Crappie!
    Brad Whitehead
    BnM ProStaff
    WarEagle ProStaff

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Good lookin catch--whats the difference between milfoil and hydrilla ?
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a difficult life you got there! Nice looking setup!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frank lawhead
    Good lookin catch--whats the difference between milfoil and hydrilla ?
    Check out the two sites listed below. I just cut and pasted some of the identification characteristics of each plant

http://www.umext.maine.edu/onlinepubs/htmpubs/2531.htm

Eurasian water milfoil is an herbaceous perennial plant with a trailing growth habit. Narrow stems grow to the water surface, usually extending three to ten feet, although sometimes much longer. They frequently form dense mats. Stems of Eurasian milfoil are usually branched, and become leafless toward the base. New plants may emerge from each node (joint) on a stem, and root upon contact with mud. Leaves are finely divided and occur in whorls of three or four. Eurasian milfoil produces small yellow flowers on a spike that projects two to four inches above the water surface. Most regeneration of Eurasian water milfoil is from rhizomes, fragmented stems and axillary buds that develop throughout the year. Although seeds are usually viable, they are not an important means of reproduction.

http://plants.ifas.ufl.edu/hyvepic.html

Hydrilla stems are slender, branched and up to 25 feet long. Hydrilla's small leaves are strap-like and pointed. They grow in whorls of four to eight around the stem. The leaf margins are distinctly saw-toothed. Hydrilla often has one or more sharp teeth along the length of the leaf mid-rib. Hydrilla produces tiny white flowers on long stalks. It also produces 1/4 inch turions at the leaf axils and potato-like tubers attached to the roots in the mud.

flycaster

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

From the looks of the name, milfoil must not be a native plant. Prob got thrown out of somebody's aquarium and now we have prop weed.

I think the reason we have so much grass in the water is because the water is so clear. This of course is brought on by the drought. Just my take on it.

Lot of grass around my area (cow pasture). Lots of bass activity early in the am and also some activity late evening. I see the bassturds beating the banks.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

On the Pickwick end .Theres so much of that junk. Its taking over the humps and stuff. And I also hate it. but you know I guess we will just have to learn how to fish the edge lines of it.
    Here the weekend drunks drive into it wide open. And then cry because there stuck in it. Theres spots here that will cover 40 acers at a time. And they still drive straigh into it. LOL
    And the bad part is the water will only be 2 or 3 ft deep across most of it with stumps. And they still try it.
    Pete
    Last edited by ShilohRed; 09-04-2007 at 06:49 AM.

Ranger690 is offline Crappie.com Legend and 2021 Crappie.com Man of the Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Good pics. Tell me more about the black rack on the rear port side of the boat. Is that how you transport you long rods? Any more pics of it? Is there another up front?

Thanks,

Dayton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast