Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: need help with my trailer lights

Post Thanks / Like

Default need help with my trailer lights

hello fellow slabhunters. i was having problem's with my my driver side trailer lite. kept like shorten out. the blinker worked, the brake lites worked, except when i hit a bump or something. so the first thing i did was change my bulb in the trailer. i coul'nt but barely read what kind of bulb. pretty sure is was T 1157. went up to auto store they had LL-1154 and LL-1156's so i bought a 1154 to try... prolly not even the right brand either. i'm dumb when it come's to electrical stuff. well i put in the 1154 and the running light's work great. but now i have no blinker or brake lites. i went to a store where the selection's and brand's were quite limited. also went fishing last nite noticed when i was leaving the battery lite in my truck was coming on and off. made it home without loosing any power on my lites or anything..wondering if all these problems are because of my wrong bulbs. drove my truck this morning without the trailer the battery lite never came on and my alternator seems to be fine. hooked up my trailer and noticed by battery gauge in the truck went down a hair but the battery lite started coming on again.

question #1 could me loosing my turn signals and brakes lites cuz i got the wrong bulb in there?

question #2 could having the wrong bulb in there be the culprit of why my battery lite in my truck come's on once i hook the trailer electrical up to it?

thanx for any help,

jeff the crappieslayer
    why do today what you can put off til tomorrow, go fishing instead!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default trailer lights

Take the bulb out and go get you a 1157 and put back in there. That will fix the battery light problem more than likely. just because a bulb fits in a ocket doesnt' mean it will work. You got to put back what you took out. ON the light issue. check all connections around the tailights, take them apart and make sure they aren't corroded and such, if they are then clean them and dab some dielctric grease on 'em to help keep the water off your terminals. If everything looks good back there, then start tracing the wires back up the trailer until you find one thats rubbed, kinked, pinched, whatever. You're going to find something. It may be a loose ground. A test light would be good to help you figure it out as well. Also check the plug that pulgs into your truck and make sure all that is good and not corroded or mashed. good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rookie12
    Take the bulb out and go get you a 1157 and put back in there. That will fix the battery light problem more than likely. just because a bulb fits in a ocket doesnt' mean it will work. You got to put back what you took out. ON the light issue. check all connections around the tailights, take them apart and make sure they aren't corroded and such, if they are then clean them and dab some dielctric grease on 'em to help keep the water off your terminals. If everything looks good back there, then start tracing the wires back up the trailer until you find one thats rubbed, kinked, pinched, whatever. You're going to find something. It may be a loose ground. A test light would be good to help you figure it out as well. Also check the plug that pulgs into your truck and make sure all that is good and not corroded or mashed. good luck!
    thanx a lot rookie, appreciate it, well so much for fishing today. guess i'll do something productive instead of fun:D thanx again

Post Thanks / Like

Not necessarily connected to your problem, but don't forget to unplug your trailer lights before putting in. You never know when water is going to get in the lights or connections and cause a short and blow your fuses.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rookie12

put 1157's in there. blinker's, brakelights, running lite's all work:D well i learned first lesson with electrical... use the right lightbulb, don't improvise:o guess i'll find out bout my truck. went up to oreilly's to by bulbs and my battery like was blink'n on and off had battery and alternator checked. both are fine darn ford's

jeff the crappieslayer

Post Thanks / Like

Ford "the heartbreak of todays Chevrolet" it just breaks my heart to see 1 of u ford guys pushin them things as i drive my silverado on by
    HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Seriously, check for an open ended short on or near the harness.
    hope it starts actin right 4 you

Big
    Stinkies Daddy

Post Thanks / Like

put leds on and be done, we kept blowing bulbs when it was below 30 degrees. we swapped to leds and have no problems now.
    FISH-ON!!!!!

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stinkies daddy
    Ford "the heartbreak of todays Chevrolet" it just breaks my heart to see 1 of u ford guys pushin them things as i drive my silverado on by
    HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Seriously, check for an open ended short on or near the harness.
    hope it starts actin right 4 you

Big
    Whatza open ended short?
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole
    Whatza open ended short?
    a grounded wire that aint possed to be, like 1 running thru the frame that might have a bare spot. when the vehicle is moving the wire might be moving around just touching the metal every so often.

Big
    Stinkies Daddy