Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Good Question for NY crappies

Gobblehunter Guest

Question Good Question for NY crappies

It's June 17th and I live in central NY near Onieda Lake, well I went to go and check out a marina for a boat and I just couldn't believe the crappies that were in there. I fish these places in the early spring and I had no idea the crappies stay in there this long. Are they there to stay for the summer or just for the mean time? they were still nice and shiny (not dark) and just hanging under the weeds or deep down next to them and they sure were quick to take a jig. I'm baffled, as to why they are there and not in the main lake.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Question why would they leave

They have cover, shade, food, & cool water temps - why would they want to expend their energy going somewhere else ? It probably hasn't been that long since they spawned ... so they may still be there trying to fatten up after the rigors of the spawning ritual. If they are Black Crappie - they're going to relate to weeds, anyway ... shade, cooler water temps, higher oxygen content in the water, and all forms of aquatic "food" species will be present - so they won't need to venture off, unless or until the conditions change.
    Kind of reminds me of a situation I ran into, on a lake here in Ky. I was staying in the State Park Campgrounds - which has a swimming beach along part of the shoreline ... people would beach their boats on the swimming beach, rather than put them back on the trailer and bring them back to the campsites or parking lot. Every morning, people would get in their boats and head out to parts unknown, far from the park beach ... while my two partners and I would launch the boat and ease around to the beach area and start fishing. We caught Slab after Slab off that beach ... either casting to certain spots on it, or trolling from one end of it to the other !! Everybody else thought they had to run miles down the lake to find the best "spots" ... when they were only a few feet away !! The fish had all they wanted, at that time and place ... so there was no need for them to travel to distant realms. ...............luck2ya ...........cp