Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Hybrid ID

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hybrid ID

How do you ID a Hybrid Crappie? Last weekend, my wife caught what I thought was a Black Crappie. It was unusual, since we have caught only White Crappie in Green River Lake before and since. The ODD part was, despite OBVIOUS Black Crappie body shape and markings, it had only six spines on the dorsal fin. Was it a Hybrid?
    "You ain't holdin' your mouth right! Did ya spit on your hook?"
    Grandpa

Post Thanks / Like

DNA testing is the only way that I know of to confirm a Hybrid Crappie but every now and then we catch a fish like what you describe and I think they are hybrids. Another characteristic that I've noticed on these "hybrids" is the black blotches are larger and somewhat fuzzy or blurred looking – the edges are not as sharp as a typical Black Crappie.

Here's one for example:

FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jerry. I see what you mean as far as the Blotches. I looked close, and it appears that fish also only has 6 spines on the dorsal fin.
    Grandpa

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, only 6-dorsal spines but the body build and coloration of a Black Crappie and no vertical bar pattern of a White Crappie.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

That's exactly what the wife caught last Sat. everything else that I have caught, or seen caught in green River Lake are Whites.
    Grandpa

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Hey Kid ....

Quote Originally Posted by Calico Kid
    That's exactly what the wife caught last Sat. everything else that I have caught, or seen caught in green River Lake are Whites.
    I can definitely verify that there are Black Crappie in GRL. And it wouldn't surprise me one bit, if there were hybrid crosses in there, too. I've caught both Whites and Blacks off the same spawning banks. Have also done the same thing at Taylorsville Lake.

All the "big" Crappie I've caught from GRL have been Whites ... all those over a pound or so ... but, have caught Black Crappie back in some of the small creeks/coves off of Robinson, and around the island area (between Emerald Isle Marina and the state campground). Again, this was in April (and many years ago). Can't say as I've caught any Black Crappie up in the river end of GRL ... up around Holmes Bend area ... but I haven't fished that end, that much, over the years.

.... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I am sure there are Black Crappie there. I just haven't caught any. (There has to be, or there wouldn't be any hybrids! - right?) I have not been fishing the Robinson creek or Island area. Have fished the Casey Creek, Butler Creek, Snake Creek, and up River areas. Have caught some NICE whites, but haven't run into any Blacks yet. That's why Saturdays catch had me going. I was explaining to the wife the differences, until I got to the spine count, and then I was sort of stumped, cause the Black was suppose to have 7 or 8 dorsal spines.

Anyway, I hope to run into some nice Blacks. May have to go give the Robinson Creek area a try!
    Grandpa

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Crappie Pappy - Look at me - I'm a Minnow now!!!!LOL
    Grandpa