Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: White Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default White Crappie

Has anyone seen this yet....Or am I a day late and a dollar short.......

1-Pound, 8-Ounce Fish Sets White Crappie Record

Eddie Braswell holds up his record-setting white crappie.
    RALEIGH, N.C. (Aug. 27, 2007) — A Granite Falls angler has set the white crappie state record, just three months after the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission opened a new category for the fish.
    Eddie Braswell reeled in the record-setting white crappie, which weighed 1 pound, 8 ounces and measured 14 inches in length, on Aug. 15 while fishing at High Rock Lake. He was using a Wally Marshall rod, Shimano 2000 reel and a Bass Assassin lure as bait.
    Since he retired from the Commission in 2004, Braswell fishes for crappie approximately 70 days a year, and starting in March or April, he tries to fish at least twice a week. While he fishes Lakes Rhodhiss, Hickory and Norman from time to time, he favors the crappie fishing in High Rock Lake.
    His latest catch is the biggest white crappie he has ever caught or seen, so he was anxious to get it in the boat, on ice and to certified scales to see if he had set the new record.
    The fish was weighed on certified scales at Food Lion on Hickory Boulevard, in Hudson. Bob Brown, a fisheries biologist with the Commission, verified the catch.
    In May, the Commission created a new white crappie state record category after separating the general crappie state record into white and black crappie. The existing crappie record, which was broken in 1980, was a 4-pound, 15-ounce black crappie caught from Asheboro City Lake #4.
    To qualify for a state record, anglers must have caught the fish on a hook and line, have the fish weighed on a certified scale witnessed by one observer, have the fish positively identified by a fisheries biologist from the Commission and submit an application with a full, side-view photo of the fish.
    For a list of all freshwater fish state records in North Carolina or more information on the State Record Fish Program, click here.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think that "new" record's gonna stick long. That oughta keep a bunch of jigs in the water for the upcoming days/weeks/ months.......:rolleyes:
    If I Ain't Crappie Fishin', I'm Thinkin' About It............

Post Thanks / Like

Some states don't separate the records between white's and black's. Did they recently do that? I look for all states one day to have a white, black and hybrid record separately. No matter what a 1-8 is a nice fish no matter where you are. Nice job.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Mississippi has had a different catagory for black and white crappie for a lot of years, although, we don't have one for the hybrid.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking ALLLLLrightythen .... DonG

let's see how fast you can break that record :p

.................................................. .............

KY is one of those states that doesn't distinguish between Black Crappie & White Crappie & hybrids ... as evidenced by our current state record :

http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/attach...1&d=1117843354

4lb 14oz hybrid Crappie caught on Mothers Day 2005 - Penny Hopper

.... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Now that's a CRAPPIE, even if it's a hybrid. What is it crossed with?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think my net is that big.
    A&R JIGS - PRO STAFF
    LIGHTWIRE HOOKS - PRO STAFF

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

That 4lb 14oz will fillet up real good! Do the hybirds taste as good as the bird? Love the taste of some Crappies.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Both are nice fish. I agree that the 1 pound 8 ounce record wont last long.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Shores ....

Quote Originally Posted by shores
    Now that's a CRAPPIE, even if it's a hybrid. What is it crossed with?
    It's apparently a naturally occurring cross between a White Crappie and a Black Crappie. KY doesn't crossbreed Crappie, so it had to have happened "accidently". It was caught from a small, state owned lake, down in Western KY ... near KY/Barkley Lakes.

... cp