Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: having motor problems

Post Thanks / Like

Angry having motor problems

just got this e-mail and wanted to share with everyone,just another bone head move by our kind elected officials,,,,,,

LAKE OF THE OZARKS - Starting January first, most gas sold in Missouri must contain ten percent ethanol.

The Department of Agriculture is putting together a list of exemptions and Missouri boaters want to make that list.

Right now aviation fuel and premium, or Octane 91, fuel are the only exemptions. Boat mechanics at the Lake of the Ozarks say ethanol will melt gaskets and hoses on boats more than five years old.

"They're not making them change the airline fuel. And as many boats as we have down here at the Lake of the Ozarks, you're talking one big expense for all of these boat owners down here at the lake," said Jolee Prestien North Shore gas stock.

"There are some other states that has requirements and they also exempt certain uses. For example, lawn mowers and snow mobiles, etc. Our legislators decided that we could exempt premium, and those special uses could use premium grade gasoline," said Ron Hayes the Missouri Department of Agriculture.

KOMU news had a segment on this several nights ago. I've already had problems with a fuel pump in my motor and Mertens said it was caused from using ethanol (caused the thin rubber diaphragm to curl up on the edges). I told John that I do not use ethanol in my boat, and he said that I do, but don't know it. He clarified that statement by saying that most gas suppliers now blend ethanol with "regular" gas to get it up to 87 octane, resulting in a big savings to them (ethanol is cheaper than gas). Also, a law passed several years ago eliminated the requirement that it be posted on the pump that the fuel contains ethanol. It's a big rip-off for the customer
    and a big moneymaker for the fuel suppliers/jobbers. Now the legislators want to make ethanol blends mandatory. These legislators sitting in their ivory tower have no idea of the ramifications of their actions (i.e. Their votes on the ethanol mandate) on boat owners and everyone else that uses gasoline in 2 cycle and other small engines not designed for using alcohol.

I would suggest that in additional to all boat owners formally commenting on this issue individually, that the bass club send an "official letter" to the Department of Agriculture with comments representing views of our members. If this proposed mandate passes, it will
    force boat owners to either use the ethanol blend (and risk major engine repair bills) or buy premium gas, which would result in an extra 20 cent+ per gallon cost every time we fill up our boats. Boat owners can now get a refund of gasoline tax used for boating purposes---how about a refund of the 20 cents per gallon, or just exempt boat owners.
    they have already stuck it to us again,,,,,again i just wanted to share---fuzzy
    Last edited by old fuzzy; 08-31-2007 at 08:38 PM.
    IT'S 5--O-CLOCK SOMEWHERE,,,MIKE-p

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Boat mechanics at the Lake of the Ozarks say ethanol will melt gaskets and hoses on boats more than five years old.

That statement is BULL! With one exception. Some mid 1990s Mercs have a TSB out that advises changing the check valves in the fuel pump because the new gas causes the ends of the rubber valve to curl up. No melting of rubber! And no melting of gaskets! Next time you are out look around. There are a lot of old motors still purring along and ethanol has been out a long time now in Va., well over 5 years. But don't take just my word for that. Go to iBoats.com and ask there. Over 100,000 members.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking I was gonna say ....

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    Boat mechanics at the Lake of the Ozarks say ethanol will melt gaskets and hoses on boats more than five years old.
    That statement is BULL! With one exception. Some mid 1990s Mercs have a TSP out that advises changing the check valves in the fuel pump because the new gas causes the ends of the rubber valve to curl up. No melting of rubber! And no melting of gaskets! Next time you are out look around. There are a lot of old motors still purring along and ethanol has been out a long time now in Va., well over 5 years. But don't take just my word for that. Go to iBoats.com and ask there. Over 100,000 members.

.... if ethanol treated gas melted gaskets on older motors --- then why did my 1985 Yamaha 70hp run like a scalded dog, on 87 octane And with nary a gasket or rubber melting problem, in the nearly 20yrs I owned it !!
    In fact ... it's still running just fine, for the guy I sold it to !!

... cp

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy
    .... if ethanol treated gas melted gaskets on older motors --- then why did my 1985 Yamaha 70hp run like a scalded dog, on 87 octane And with nary a gasket or rubber melting problem, in the nearly 20yrs I owned it !!
    In fact ... it's still running just fine, for the guy I sold it to !!

... cp
    Same with a 1983 Merc 150 I recently sold. It still pushes that boat 65MPH. Thats why I got rid of it. Too fast for an old man. Methinks someone is looking to make a quick buck.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I won't address the "melting rubber" thing because I don't know if it melts it or not. I do know biodiesel will melt certain types of rubber, but who here uses a diesel boat motor on their Stratos? Anyway, there's one thing that can't be denied concerning alcohol (ethanol) since it's just basic chemistry.

Ethanol is hydroscopic, meaning it readily attracts and holds water. Anyone who uses steel tanks like I do runs the risk of having even more rust problems than I already had without the alcohol. To prove this point, automobiles designed for running ethanol blend fuels come already equipped from the factory with stainless lined tanks and fuel lines for this very reason.

Someone might say, "well just buy a plastic tank and be done with it".

One of my boats has a big steel internal fuel tank. Why should I have to pay big bucks out of my own pocket to retrofit it just so an oil company can make a few extra cents a gallon off me? And don't forget this guys, you all have steel rings in your engines and some of you may even have steel cylinder liners as well. A car or truck gets used daily so things keep moving. On the other hand, a boat motor rarely gets used every day unless you're a guide or a commercial fisherman, so that alcohol blend fuel vapor just sits there...

Having 10% ethanol forced on us without asking is one thing, but what if they decide to up that at some point to save even more money later on? They've done it once already, they can easily do it again, and again, and again.

Just something to chew on......
    Last edited by Catwagon; 09-01-2007 at 11:11 AM.