Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Catching shad.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Catching shad.

Number 1. I have a cast net and know how to use it, but 2. I have never used it in fresh water. The reason being, I don't know where to go to find shad. So, here is the question. Where do you go to find them if your on a new lake (or any lake for that matter). I have not had my boat out on the local lake yet since we just moved here. Where would you try to get shad? Can you get them any time of day?? Any favorite things to look for? Shallow, hard bottom, creeks???? Please help. Want to try for some big blues. Got the gear, just not the knowhow.
    Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
    Dusty
    A gun in hand is a lot better than a cop on the phone.

Post Thanks / Like

best spot to look for them is on any flats, usually doesnt matter what time of day but morning seems to be best to see them busting surface.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, now all I have to do is find the flats in this lake. Have been having a ball trying out this danny kings bait. Went out to the river again just below the dam and caught till I got tired of catching. Only problem was they were all below 12". Must have caught 40 in an hour. When the wife gets off for a day or so, will try the lake proper. Want to set out 3 rods. One with DK's, one with charlie and one with my sweetbait. Been doing good on all three. If I can find the shad, will do a 4th rod. Thanks for the input.
    Dusty

Post Thanks / Like

if you get out early in morning just cruise shore line your sure to find em if there in that lake with any quantity, you will see em jump, i usually get most of mine in 4-8 foot of water. your electronics will help a little with that, see a school throw the net

Post Thanks / Like

Will marina lights help? I have not found a marina here on WP yet, but know that there are 2. If they have dock lights on, will the shad be around there all night? May want to do some night fishing since it has been so hot and have heard most the bigguns are caught at night on humps. Is that also a true statement? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Dusty

Post Thanks / Like

lights do help. you can also try around boat ramps in the early mourning.

Post Thanks / Like

Try retaining walls and boat ramps. Get there about 15 min. before daylight.
    Quiet as you can be. They spook easy.
    Later RL

Post Thanks / Like

I just look for top water action.Fish Finder would be nice but look at this video from tonight,Had to release bass,but they show me where the shad are.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrhZFj5EmkU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LtU7CArkpM