Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most important information

Post Thanks / Like

Default Most important information

Question: If you went to a lake you knew very little about, from past experience, didnt know where any proven spots were, where there were any brush piles, had no report of anyone catching anything, water temp 90 to 95, you did know where standing timber and creek channel was and there were many boat houses, where would you start, what would be the most important thing you would look for.

Charlie

Post Thanks / Like

Probably deep, cooler water and then cover as much deep water as possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Where o where

I would look at standing timber and boat houses that were on the creek channel ledges.or river channel ledges. Outside bends etc. Troll until you get bit, turn around and fish where the bite occured can work. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

like the plant Doctor said - start by trolling around the creek channel. If you've got a fish finder - use it to get an idea of how deep the fish are holding.

Post Thanks / Like

I would fish either side of the channels in standing timber. The fish will not be as deep as you think! The thermocline will sit in when the water has been that hot and there will not be oxygen deeper than maybe 15ft. Crappie will be on almost every tree, just not schools of them. Good Luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I read it as "you did not know where standing timber and creek channel was." My bad. Then yes, I agree with what everyone else said.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb cms3 ....

Quote Originally Posted by cms3
    Question: If you went to a lake you knew very little about, from past experience, didnt know where any proven spots were, where there were any brush piles, had no report of anyone catching anything, water temp 90 to 95, you did know where standing timber and creek channel was and there were many boat houses, where would you start, what would be the most important thing you would look for.
    Charlie
    SHADE !!

If those boathouses (docks?) were stationary (on poles) ... I'd be shooting a jig into the darkest area UNDER there. It's a lot cooler underneath a dock, and there may even be a brushpile planted under/around it. Floating docks present a little more difficult scenario ... but, the boatslip or a pontoon tied to it can be just as productive. I'd hit these first thing in the morning ... then ease out to the channel edges and work those. If there's a thermocline, and it's above the channel edge cover ... I'd go to the deep edges of the standing trees, where they intersect the thermocline, and fish from the top of the thermocline up to a foot or two below the depth at which I can see my bait. And I'd be concentrating on the shaded side of the stump, and the larger ones (but I wouldn't rule out a smaller tree, if it was isolated from the others). Then, around midday .... back to the docks.

The closer the water's surface is to the underside of the dock ... the darker the shade
    Docks with pole holders, rods with bobbers, cleaning stations, etc .... an "anglers" dock ... are more likely to have planted cover under them, or within a casts distance of them.
    Docks collect algae ... baitfish eat algae ... fish eat baitfish --- therefore, docks are dining tables for both predator and prey.

If the front stationary poles are in deep water, and shaded ... "Vertical Cast" those poles, after thoroughly working the underside of the dock.

.... cp

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If a bait shop was close by I would ask them:

What are they biting ?
    How deep were you fishing?
    What method was working lately?

They may just tell you. Most people will not tell you where on a lake to go, but they will answer those non threatening questions. if that did not work I personally would look for a channel bend by a deep water drop off point with vegetation or structure. I would also use my binoculars and see for myself where the locals are fishing and make a note to fish those areas the next day.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

How can I tell where the thermocline is???
    Thanks for your help, this gives me more things to try.

Post Thanks / Like

i would look for shaded boat docks over deeper water w/ cover around them, on the dock i would look for lights, fish cleaning stations, and rod holders, stringers or minnow buckets hanging from railings. but this is just how i would do it
    Stinkies Daddy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast