Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Volts for Cranking Battery

Post Thanks / Like

Default Volts for Cranking Battery

I now have 3 graphs hooked to my cranking battery. I won't be using more than 2 graphs at any one time. My question is this. What should a fully charged cranking battery read on a volt meter? Should it be right at 12 or like 12.5 to 13 like an auto? Also, how low can the volts get and still be able to safely crank the big motor? Thanks in advance for any help.
    A&R JIGS - PRO STAFF
    LIGHTWIRE HOOKS - PRO STAFF

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiechappy
    I now have 3 graphs hooked to my cranking battery. I won't be using more than 2 graphs at any one time. My question is this. What should a fully charged cranking battery read on a volt meter? Should it be right at 12 or like 12.5 to 13 like an auto? Also, how low can the volts get and still be able to safely crank the big motor? Thanks in advance for any help.
    10.5 volts equals "dead", no crank. I believe most books reference 11 volts as the dead zone for cranking. I believe full charge is 12.85 to 12.95 volts. I am trying to recall specifics but am drawing empty numbers, but
    these numbers are close range.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

volts can read 13 or more on a just charged battery. I have seen batteries still start the engine at 11 volts or less.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

This is from a battery web site.
    A reading of 12.66 volts indicates a fully charged battery; 12.45 volts is 75% charged, 12.24 volts is 50% charged, and 12.06 volts is 25% charged.

Yes you can see higher than that at times. Its considered a surface charge and will slowly go away on its own.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    This is from a battery web site.
    A reading of 12.66 volts indicates a fully charged battery; 12.45 volts is 75% charged, 12.24 volts is 50% charged, and 12.06 volts is 25% charged.

Yes you can see higher than that at times. Its considered a surface charge and will slowly go away on its own.
    12.7 rings the bell. I have read 12.9v with a digital vm but the battery was slowly discharging through the voltmeter (which has a hi Z input). Good to get refreshed once in a while.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole
    12.7 rings the bell. I have read 12.9v with a digital vm but the battery was slowly discharging through the voltmeter (which has a hi Z input). Good to get refreshed once in a while.
    Your memory is better than mine Tom. I had to look it up.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Crappiechappy, here's some pretty useful info on marine batteries that will help answer your question.

http://www.marine-electronics.net/te..._faq/b_faq.htm
    If I Ain't Crappie Fishin', I'm Thinkin' About It............

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole
    10.5 volts equals "dead", no crank. I believe most books reference 11 volts as the dead zone for cranking. I believe full charge is 12.85 to 12.95 volts. I am trying to recall specifics but am drawing empty numbers, but
    these numbers are close range.
    From experience,(last Saturday), 10.3 wont budge my yamaha 150. Luckily I had 2 other fully charged batteries on board. This is what happens when you dont check to make sure everything is turned off when you arent the last one out of the boat!!!
    Everyone has a secret talent they didn't know about until tequila.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boat49
    From experience,(last Saturday), 10.3 wont budge my yamaha 150. Luckily I had 2 other fully charged batteries on board. This is what happens when you dont check to make sure everything is turned off when you arent the last one out of the boat!!!

I think we have all been here. There is a device on the market that protects the battery from too low voltage. I can't remember where I read about it though. Brain cell seepage problem.