Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Flashers

Post Thanks / Like

Default Flashers

Do any of you use flashers for locating brush piles? What are the pros and cons beside you cant see below. I read about someone using one to locate brush piles and he said he liked the flasher better than the lcd screen.

Any input will be nice
    Love, what more can I say

Post Thanks / Like

Once you learn a flasher, they can tell you a lot about what is below you, but the learning curve is pretty long. A graph is way easier to learn, and gives you more information.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Mighty,

My first boat had flashers on it. I never could figure it out because I just wasn't patient enough. I switched to Hummingbirds and have used them ever since. Back home in Ohio, people would use them all the time while ice fishing so they do work in that situation.

Many people are now building brushpiles out of PVC to avoid detection. I do carry some nice binoculars. When the fishing is slow, I pull them out and scout the lake to see where others are pulling in fish. You can bet your bottom dollar there is structure or brushpiles in the area. Make a note in a log book or your GPS and then go fish the spot later. All I can add. Take care my friend.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

I started with flashers and they do a great job once you learn what your looking at is. The only problem is you have to always be looking at them or you'll miss the structure. The graphs are more forgiving where you get to see the structure longer and can go back to it if you looked away from the screen when you crossed it. The color graphs are great and I think show a better picture.

RICK

EVERY FISH IS A MEMORY SOME ARE JUST BIGGER

Post Thanks / Like

I used to LOVE a Humminbird super 30 we had years ago - but after
    not looking at one for 20 years, when I got another boat last fall with
    a Vexilar flasher on it, I just couldn't get used to it. One thing I really
    didn't dig about the Vex is that the depth ranges were 0-20 then jumped
    to 0-40... I fish a lot of the year crossing back and forth over the 20
    foot mark, so had to leave it in 40' range most of the time.
    That brought on having to double in my head the numbers around the dial -
    Vex works with a switch that goes 1X,2X,3X etc. what is on the dial.
    If you are set on 1X (0-20 scale) and cross the channel and bottom drops
    off deeper than 20, the bottom signal just disappears - unlike the old H'birds
    where for example on a super 30, if you went into 40' of water the signal
    would just wrap back around to 10' on the dial - Am I confusing everybody?:D The multiple colors for different return strengths was nice tho.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

Default Old flasher info available on new LCDs

The same information that a flasher could show can be seen in many of todays LCD Chart units. We call ours the "RTS Window" but other companies have them in their LCD Chart units too. Many also have a Flasher View as well that looks more like the traditional flashers. With the LCD units you can also show relative signal strength whether it be in shades of gray for the monochrome units or in color for those color LCD units. Whats better is that todays LCD units (I'm speaking about Humminbird units here as I do not know what other brands can do) can update at up to 40 times per second while the older flashers could only update at 30 times per second.

Know about the depth wrap deal. On my first outing with a WPS30 flasher I was coming back in from 50+ feet of water and nearly soiled the boat seat when I saw the depth line go to zero - than shallower! I had amazing 'pucker power' back than!
    Greg Walters at Humminbird
    [email protected]
    I help because I can

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sonar update speed

The leading edge of the sonar chart can have some small delay in it (they used to have significant delays, but than I remember when gas was $1 a gallon!) but the rest of the chart - or more accurately a sonar history chart - is just that: a history of the sonar readings.

If you are viewing the RTS Window in our products what you are seeing is Real Timer Sonar readings at speeds in excess of what the motorized flashers could produce, plus you can see returned sonar signal strength as well (at many more levels than a two or three colored flasher can produce).
    Greg Walters at Humminbird
    [email protected]
    I help because I can