Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jigging Tips

Post Thanks / Like

Question Jigging Tips

I love casting jigs for crappies and bluegills.I miss alot when the jig is falling during the retrieve.I feel them there and go to set the hook and miss alot of them.Anyone have any tips to increase my hookups?This site is great I spend alot of time on here.Thank you.
    HAVE A CRAPPIE DAY

crappiekid24 is offline Moderator Ice Fishing Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Missed fish happen. But I like to cast the jig out and real in all the slack so the jig is basically swinging back to me. I feel the fish sooner and my hook up rate is better.

Post Thanks / Like

try a longer pole...You are probably using a pole less than 6 foot tall I bet...

Post Thanks / Like

Control the jig on the way down. That is the best way. If your not in control of your jig on the way down. What your feeling most of the time, Is the fish dropping the jig.
    Watch that line where it meets the water. See it move set the hook. Lots of times you will see a tick or the line move to the side. That is the time to nail him.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sac-a-lait
    try a longer pole...You are probably using a pole less than 6 foot tall I bet...
    I totally agree....make sure you're not using a jig over 1/16 or it will fall too fast and if you havent tried hi vis line give it a shot you can see bites before you feel em alot of times.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I would downsize to a 1/32 or 1/64. It is easier for the fish to inhale and not so heavy so you miss the strike. Get a good rod with a sensitive tip so you can feel the action the jig imparts. Most fish will hit as a jig drops. For that reason I love to use a slip bobber. The undulating waves will cause your jig to dance up and down. As you move the bobber forward in a "Swim and stop" retrieve the jig will pendulum doown. Pay attention to your line. This is when you will get bit. I also keep a light finger on the line to help detect bites. If your float moves to the side, if your float rises, if your float goes down, set the hook. (Firmly) If anything unusual happens, set the hook. The worse you will do is give a little action to the jig.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't ever get any bluegill or shellcracker around here to take a jig, but earthworms almost always will do it. I always feel like I'm doing something wrong when I try jigs, but I use a 7-foot ultralite rod, and I always keep the slack to a minimum. I can practically feel a fish just looking at my bait with that rod. Does anyone else have a problem with them not taking jigs? It'd be so much easier if I could just fish with jigs some days when I'm not going out for very long.

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

The blue gills always seem to strike the very end of the jig tail. Sneaky little dudes.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

When the conditions will alow as you are slowly retrieving and alowing your jig to decend into a school ... just watch your line and you will see more hits than you will feel..... sometimes its just a twitch and that is when I set the hook.
    Like I say conditions have to be right
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Baxter1. We Have That Problem As Well At Times. We Fish Short Rods When We Cast And As The Guys Have Told You Thats Not Great. If Your Hardheaded As We Are, We Found The Old Nibbles Will Increase Your Chances. Mr. Slabster Seems To Hold On Longer When You've Got A Nibble On The Jig. I Am By No Means An Expert But All You've Got To Lose Is 3 Bucks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast