Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Need Advice

CDEBBY Guest

Cool Need Advice

I AM A 49 YEAR OLD FEMALE THAT IS RETIRED AND NEW TO FISHING OF ANY KIND.I LIVE IN CORSICANA, AND FISH AT SOUTHPORT MARINA MOSTLY.THEY HAVE A BARGE WITH TWO OPENINGS. THERE IS ALOT OF BRUSH ON THE BOTTOM(WHICH I CONSTANTLY GET TANGLED AND LOSE MY TACKLE).I REALLY LOVE CRAPPIE FISHING BUT DON'T KNOW IF I AM DOING ANYTHING RIGHT. I HAVE 15LB LINE ON MY REEL I RIG IT BY PUTTING A SWIVEL AND WEIGHT ON BOTTOM,THEN TWO MORE SWIVELS HIGHER UP AND ABOUT 12 IN. APART WITH #2 BRASS HOOKS.THEN I PUT MEDIUM MINNOWS (HOOKED THROUGH THE BACK) ON THE HOOKS. I LOWER MY LINE TILL THE WEIGHT HITS BOTTOM AND REEL IT BACK UP TWO TURNS. CAN YA'LL HELP A POTENTIAL HOOKED ON CRAPPIE FISHERMAN OUT AND TELL ME IF THIS IS CORRECT. IF NOT WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Post Thanks / Like

Default deep brush

I was raised fishing in a boat house with Christmas trees my dad sank as a fish attractors, I have found by using a heavier weight (5/8 ounce) on the bottom of the line. Then suspending the hooks about 18 inches above that. The weight hits the brush and stops before the hooks get tangled up. If you get tangled, the heavier weight allows you to bounce the line gently until it freed. I sure miss that boat house and my dad!
    Sumo
    Last edited by Sumo; 02-23-2005 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Grammar

Post Thanks / Like

My Wife & I fish Richland Chambers also, so we know about that brush. Some do not like a size 6 hook, saying it is too small, but I pulled a 3 lb slab out of RC with one. It is easy to straighten when hung up and to bend back, saving time & hooks.