Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Jerry Blake - Kalin ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jerry Blake - Kalin ?

You had given me a link for Kalins grubs, which I found at BPS locally. Nice looking pours, great color, thick tails - overall a decent grub body, but I've noticed a problem.
    The bodies are splitting for me at the first section after being on a head for more then a few hours. Since this is the first I've personaly worked with Kalin products, I'm curious if this is normal or not?
    It doesn't affect the body staying on the head (of course the barb plays into that as well). I'm rigging the body to snug right up to the back of the head (over the collar). It seems as if the taper of the collar is too big for the front taper of the plastic body. (?)
    I have to do one of two things to stop this split from happening:
    1) reduce the taper on the collar of the jighead
    2) remove the first section of the body (the first round section at the tip)

This only seems to be happening with the Kalins. Thinking this was happening with all plastics, I put other manufactures on the same heads. No problems. Bad run maybe?
    They appear to be a top shelf plastic (attention paid to details), which is why it surprised me they are splitting.
    This problem is happening in my shop, haven't been on the water with them yet.
    Could be me handling them too, as I'm checking the wormproofing every so often (pulling the body back to expose part of the collar).
    Have you seen this with them?

Post Thanks / Like

Big Zig, I have used Kalins 2" triple threat grubs exclusivly on my guide trips for a couple of years now and I too have that problem! After the first couple of fish I usualy have to change grubs! They sure do work though. I tried glueing them to the head and that seemed to help. BPS makes a generic, but I haven't tried them yet. I have tried countless other brands but for some reason or another the triple threats seem to out fish all other curly tails!
    Tight Lines!
    Jason Piper

Post Thanks / Like

I've used kalins before but i really like another brand, They're called LiveLine Baits its a local brand out of Northwest.. Spokane i think, but the come in different sizes and colors ans they're very durable.
    Eat your wheaties
    Okuma
    Sniper Lures Custom Baits
    Fetha' 'styx Custom Rods
    Outlaw Baits
    Reaction Innovations
    XS ENERGY DRINKS

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=J.T. Crappie Guide]Big Zig, I have used Kalins 2" triple threat grubs exclusivly on my guide trips for a couple of years now and I too have that problem! After the first couple of fish I usualy have to change grubs! They sure do work though. I tried glueing them to the head and that seemed to help. BPS makes a generic,

Put BPS generic beside the Kaline on 2 identical jigs a slowly increase the speed untill one of the lures tripple tails wiggle. Did this last year and sold all the BPS generic at a yard sale. In warmer water at a little faster speed the BPS would produce fine and may even if the tail don't wiggle. But at my age I like a little wiggle in the tail.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Zig
    You had given me a link for Kalins grubs, which I found at BPS locally. Nice looking pours, great color, thick tails - overall a decent grub body, but I've noticed a problem.
    The bodies are splitting for me at the first section after being on a head for more then a few hours. Since this is the first I've personaly worked with Kalin products, I'm curious if this is normal or not?
    It doesn't affect the body staying on the head (of course the barb plays into that as well). I'm rigging the body to snug right up to the back of the head (over the collar). It seems as if the taper of the collar is too big for the front taper of the plastic body. (?)
    I have to do one of two things to stop this split from happening:
    1) reduce the taper on the collar of the jighead
    2) remove the first section of the body (the first round section at the tip)

This only seems to be happening with the Kalins. Thinking this was happening with all plastics, I put other manufactures on the same heads. No problems. Bad run maybe?
    They appear to be a top shelf plastic (attention paid to details), which is why it surprised me they are splitting.
    This problem is happening in my shop, haven't been on the water with them yet.
    Could be me handling them too, as I'm checking the wormproofing every so often (pulling the body back to expose part of the collar).
    Have you seen this with them?

Hey Big Zig:

The Kalins grubs are very soft and split pretty easy. You may have less trouble with them on the water than in your shop (pulling them off repeatedly) but after a few bites you'll have to change tubes - one reason I fish with hair jigs more than I do tube jigs.

A guy gave me some jigheads that have a couple wire hooks coming out of the head on either side of the hook shank to hold the body on but I've not tried them yet. I think they will work better as it's probably the thickness of the collar that is splitting them as much as it is the collar barb.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

I think they will work better as it's probably the thickness of the collar that is splitting them as much as it is the collar barb.
    That's exactly what I found odd, the barb isn't tearing the bodies. It's just at that first "ball" on the body.
    It sounds as if this may be normal, which is a minor issue with the grub body as a whole.

Post Thanks / Like

i use the kalins john deere green all the time.i use a jig head with no collar and i don`t have the problem that you have.they are the best grubs that i have found.
    Dave
    Boydton,VA