Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Outbaord shaft length?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Outbaord shaft length?

How do you find the lenght of your outbaord's shaft(20, 25, 30 inch)? Looking to buy a new outboard and I can't seem to figure that one out.
    Thanks
    Ian
    To land one of my crappie i need a gaff and a .22 pistal :D

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shaft length

On the engine, from the surface that sits on top of the transom to the anti cavitation plate.
    On the boat, from the top center of the transom to the lowest point on the bottom, usually a keel.

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of boat do you have will help alot. Most typical boats use a 20" shaft length. This is a standard bass boat fiberglass or alum. Your deeper V style boats like lunds, or lowe roughnecks. They need a 25" shaft length. I would think a 30" would be more on a ocean style boat where the sides are very high above the water line. John boats may use a 15" shaft lenght or 20". Your best bet on know what to use is call the manufacture or a dealer for that brand of boat. They know what each boat requires, hope this helps.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I have an 1980 alum. boat kinda a deep V but not as deep as a Lund it sounds like i might need a 20 to 25?
    To land one of my crappie i need a gaff and a .22 pistal :D