Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: New girl in town!

Post Thanks / Like

Default New girl in town!

My daughter told me today she wants to be a Big Blue Guide On Wateree.I think she will be the first,she already does all my rigging and is good with the boat,and catching bait! I am a lucky man.:D http://s71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...ngwFlop010.jpg http://s71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...ngwFlop007.jpg Castnet throwing is next thing and she will be ready! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjrDTWLuHTI
    Last edited by Team_Flopeye; 08-20-2007 at 05:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

"...Castnet throwing is next thing and she will be ready!..."

Well, there is a little more to it than throwing a cast net and catching fish.

I think she will have to obtain a captains license from the US Coast Guard before she can legally guide on Wateree. She will have to go through classroom training and then pass a US Coast Guard exam. Before that she will need several hundred days of documented time on the water.

Ironically, there are no abilities tests for being able to catch fish!

It would be unique to have a female catfish guide. I don't know of another one in the southeast.

Good luck to her and let us know when she gets that captains license so we can refer her some guide trips!!

Post Thanks / Like

sHE HAS ALREADY WON 2 TOURNIES, AND A 2ND IN ANOTHER.I KNOW WHAT SHE NEEDS TO DO THANKS.I WILL PUT HER UP AGAINST ANYONE ON WATEREE.SHE KNOWS THE LAKE AS GOOD AS i DO.ANY BETS?

Post Thanks / Like

One important thing to keep in mind is that tournament fishing and guiding are two totally different ways of fishing. The pressure is totally different too. In tournaments YOU are paying to fish, and when you guide people are paying YOU to catch fish. A guide usually has a lot less time to produce fish than in a tournament, and they are usually dealing with people that are a lot less patient than a tournament angler like yourself.

Guiding is 20% catching fish and 80% people management skills. You have to know how to enterain when the fish are not biting. Good communication skills are very important. I have fished with some awesome guides and their ability to communicate with their clients is one of the most important aspects of creating a quality experience.

Most guides will tell you that when the fishing is good it is an awesome job to have, but when it is bad you are left wondering what went wrong.

Keep working with her and passing along your fishing skills. There are a lot of great guides on this site and others that can give her advice on what she needs to do to make it should she follow that dream.

Tight Lines!