Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

View Poll Results: WHAT IS YOUR FUN PLACE TO GO CRAPPIE FISHING?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • WEISS LAKE - ALABAMA

4 10.53%
  • SANTEE-COOPER - SOUTH CAROLINA

0 0%
  • JOHN-KERR - NORTH CAROLINA

1 2.63%
  • KENTUCKY LAKE - TENNESSEE

11 28.95%
  • REELFOOT - TENNESSEE

6 15.79%
  • SMALL FARM POND - NEAR YOUR HOME

3 7.89%
  • SMALL RESERVOIR - NEAR YOUR HOME

16 42.11%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Searching For An Answer

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Searching For An Answer

This is about Crappie lakes or small reservoirs. Lakes that produce slabs, or numbers of good fish, right now. If you were planning to just take a vacation for some leisurely Crappie fishing, instead of pressure fishing in a tournament, where would you go? You can choose as many options on the poll as you like. I was just curious as well as planning my next get away vacation. Add your comments as to why thhat area is a great vacation spot. Thanks.

I moved from Ohio just to be near Logan Martin and Weiss Lakes. In Akron Ohio I loved West Branch and Mogadore Lakes.
    Last edited by shipahoy41; 08-20-2007 at 08:29 AM.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a couple small lakes/large ponds right near home that all have good populations of black crappie. For me, there's nothing better to get rid of the stress from the work-week, than putting my little rowboat in one of these little lakes and catching a few speckled critters for the deep fryer.

As for a vacation... we go to a small man-made lake (350 acres) up in the Northern Adirondacks in July each year and I catch a ton of crappie in the 10 -12" range. Generally get 5 or six each 2 hour outing (3 outings/day), along with another 5 or 6 big bream. Other reason it's a good low pressure vacation spot include:

-Only 1/4 shoreline is developed - wilderness all around
    -Wild Hemlock forest all around
    -Great scenery
    -Nearby streams with brook trout, smallmouth bass and walleye in them.
    -Generally no more than 2 or three boats on the lake at a time - even on weekends.
    -Friendly neighbors
    -Peace and quiet for relaxing

Post Thanks / Like

Ship, You forgot Dale Hollow. It"s noted as a smallmouth lake but is also a fine Crappie lake. 2 pounders are common, and 3-3+ are caught too! We"ve also got the notrorius Blacknose which grows quicker,is more aggresive ,and fights like a Smallmouth!! I"ve had a bunch of them Tail Dance tryin to spit a jig!!
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Post Thanks / Like

White river oxbows

Post Thanks / Like

Grenada in MS. Large Reservoir near home......

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation For a short haul trip .....

Weiss would be a good option. The Fall season is just around the corner

I would also "add" Watts Bar Lake, in East Tenn, as an option. And I would make the stipulation that, in either case (but most especially in the case of Watts Bar), shooting docks should be your primary choice of methods And, Black Crappie are your most likely target species, as they will come shallower, as well as into the creek arms ... whereas the White Crappie will usually remain out in the deeper haunts, on ledges and deep brush.

.... cp

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by DENNIS BOWERS
    Ship, You forgot Dale Hollow. It"s noted as a smallmouth lake but is also a fine Crappie lake. 2 pounders are common, and 3-3+ are caught too! We"ve also got the notrorius Blacknose which grows quicker,is more aggresive ,and fights like a Smallmouth!! I"ve had a bunch of them Tail Dance tryin to spit a jig!!
    [QUOTE= PAPPY] I would also "add" Watts Bar Lake, in East Tenn, as an option.

I appreciate all the input. I have fished Douglas, Norris and Cherokee in Tennessee but have never fished Dale Hollow or Watts Bar. Thanks for the recommendations. I'll have to add them to my list of places to fish before going to the big lake in the sky. You know, life is too short not to have fun and do a few of the things you really want to do. God bless you guys.

Most of the time PSTONE I also am fishing a small reservoir within one hour's drive from home. Twice a year though, I want to combine fishing with vacation and see something different.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Any time or place is as good as another to me, but in my area Talquin out fishes all on size. Logan Martin is about 5 hours away and also produces big fish. Also Mississipppi lakes are good for 3 pounders.

For numbers you cannot beat West Point you can prety much catch a limit of 3/4 pound fish here any day of the year. I also enjoy the 9 hour trip to Pickwick, a wide variety of fish and it produces lunker size of many species. The Muscle Shoals area is world renown for large smallmouth. The saugers are a real treat for me also. The Harris Chain is also awesome due the many lakes to choose from. If I had to choose on place I couldn`t I love to be on any body of water.