Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Line Twist!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Line Twist!

I use UL spinning reels for Crappie and after numerous line twists and birds nests and respooling the reels someone told me how to prevent this was after my cast to flip the bail over by hand instead of using the reel handle and since I have been doing this I have not had any problems with the line.Does anyone else use this method?

Post Thanks / Like

Never heard of operating the bail by hand to solve the problem but if it works, it works.

I have been told and find it to be true that when stringing up a reel set the spool of new line on the floor and crank the reel eight or ten times. Allow the line between the pole and the line spool to go slack. If it twists up you need to flip over the line spool and reel it again a few times. It should not twist this time. Once you figure out which way to turn the spool so the line doesn't twist, then just fill up the reel.
    Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men...Matt 4:19

Post Thanks / Like

i was told by a zebco salesman that flipping the bell by the reel handle will cause wear and tear on the reel and the reel will not last as long. he said that you should always flip the bell by hand before reeling in no matter what type of reel it is.
    EAT, SLEEP, FISH AND LOVE THY WIFE

bobberdown is offline Slabmaster II * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Once you get the new line on the reel, try placing a swivel on it then attach it to something solid and walk off about 80 yards of line off. Then take the line between your fingers and reel the line back on the reel. Then if you start seeing twist while fishing feed the line without any bait on it along the side of the boat while moving slowly. When you reel it back in the water will take the twist out.
    If the drag is set too loose on your reel and you reel against the reel, or the bait you have on tied directly to the line spins in the water you will have twist after only a few cast.

Post Thanks / Like

The Correct Way To Use These Reels Is To Flip It By Hand. I Also Make A Habit Of Pull The Line In The Roller Also. It Seems Wierd At First But Becomes Habit After A While. I Very Seldom Have Trouble, But People With Me Complain All The Time. Most Of Them Go To The Spincast Types. Using The Reel Handle To Flip The Bail Shut Will Ruin A Reel. Also Try Different Lines Berkley Sensation Works Best For Me.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Len
    I use UL spinning reels for Crappie and after numerous line twists and birds nests and respooling the reels someone told me how to prevent this was after my cast to flip the bail over by hand instead of using the reel handle and since I have been doing this I have not had any problems with the line.Does anyone else use this method?
    I started doing that a couple years ago. Manually close the bail just before the bait hits the water. It was a little awkward at first but if you keep doing it, it becomes second nature and makes a big difference. Eventually you do it without thinking about it. You still need to start by having the line properly spooled on the reel.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I used to get "wind loops" on my spinning reel all the time when I used the crank to close the bail, once I started flipping it back manually, I stopped having that problem. As for line twist itself, the suggestions above are right on the money - spooling correctly to eliminate initial twist, then when you do have some twist, running line with nothing on it behind the boat periodically will remove any twist. Depending on what lure you use, sometimes putting a swivel in line maybe 18" up from your lure can make a big difference in keeping twist out too.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking I do ....

Quote Originally Posted by Len
    .... but not for the reason of eliminating line twist. I do it to ensure that my line isn't hanging loose, or in loops, between the reel and first guide. Whenever loose line is reeled back onto the spool ... you'll get kinked line, and overlapped line (tightly wound line over loosely wound line), which ... on the following cast ... may come off in a wad.
    Cranking the handle, to close the bail, does not induce twist to the line (per Jerry Blake, and self tested by me). If the spool, and line coming off the spool, don't move ... it doesn't matter if you close the bail by hand or handle, it's the same motion. The bail doesn't "twist" the line ... it only gathers and places it back on the spool, in the opposite direction it came off (which, technically, is "untwisting" it).
    Line twists come from several different factors -- too heavy/stiff a line for reel's spool size -- the lure you are casting will spin upon being cast -- improperly spooled line (putting the line on "backwards" ... aka - putting it on "twisted", to start with) --- using a lure with a in-line spinning blade.
    Bird's nests are created by twisted line, with the addition of -- loose line wound onto spool (no tension on line when initial retrieve is started) --- continuing to cast with reel with twisted line.

.... cp

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I like Pappy's answer. Actually it makes sense to me. I always close the bail by hand just to avoid wear and tear on the mechanisms. I guess this just proves the WW method. "Whatever works"
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Default upside down

I used to have his problem also, the gut at the bait shop told me to turn the spool on the floor upside down and then put it on the line, while keeping temsion, and pappy told me to close the bail by hand and look for twist etc. Since I have not had this problem, not much anyway. Also make sure you dont over load the reel.
    Love, what more can I say

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast