Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Using the Spike-It Color-C-Lector

Post Thanks / Like

Default Using the Spike-It Color-C-Lector

Hi Fellows, I just read an article on the Spike-It color-c-lector and wondering if any of our guys had or were using them? Sounds interesting but have never used one. Care to comment. Jerry

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default My selector

Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Jerry ...

Quote Originally Posted by congenialjerry
    Hi Fellows, I just read an article on the Spike-It color-c-lector and wondering if any of our guys had or were using them? Sounds interesting but have never used one. Care to comment. Jerry
    Do a search for "combo-c-lector" or "color-c-lector" ... and you'll get to read ALL KINDS of "comments" :D
    As with anything else related to fishing .... "color selectors" have their followers, and their detractors :p

As far as I 'know' ... they work, per se. They'll just tell you what color(s) are most visible at the depth of the probe, under the same light conditions and water clarity in the places you "test". Sunny skies change to cloudy, water clarity changes from clear to stained .... color selections will change.
    There's only two things, I consider negatives, about "color selection" units : they don't tell you what depth the fish are, and they don't tell you what color they're interested in :rolleyes: You've got to already know where they are, what depth they are, and what they're feeding on ... and, once I have that figured out, I'm probably already going to know what color to throw to them, if it even matters.
    If you want to get all Mr Gadget/Mr Wizard on them fish, and approach fishing as a scientific experiment/escapade ... then they might be a tool you'd consider having. OK ... I'm being a bit facetious, here ... sorry. It's just that .... I have had a "color selector" since the 70's and the only thing it has told me, color selection wise, that has ever worked - is to use a blue/chartreuse color combo, for the waters I fish most often. Well .... Howdy Doody .... I was already aware of, and using, that color combo before I ever purchased the unit :D
    My Combo-C-lector unit has three functions .... color/depth (depth is marked on probe wire) - pH of the water (which I never use) - temperature reading at depth of probe (semi-functional, if/when I use the unit to find the thermocline ... which is usually "never", since I really don't fish that much during the Summer). I rarely take it with me, and when I do it's just a "toy" to fool around with if I get bored :D (which is rare).

Do they work ... yes. Are they necessary ... debatable. Are they worth the price .... uuuuhh, probably not (IMHO).

.... cp