Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: power drive v-2

Post Thanks / Like

Default power drive v-2

i posted this on the trolling motors forum but that forum does'nt get viewed by a lot of you guy's that may be able to help make up my mind. i'm need'n a little advice. gonna get a new trolling motor but hav'n a dilemma. i was thinkin of go'n wireless but other than the motorguide new wireless for around $500, they start around $800. but from what iv'e read there not that great. i just have a 15 aluminum boat so don't have much deck space. i have a motorguide cable foot control, and i'm really wanting to eliminate that bulky cable and upgrade my thrust. was look'n at the power drive v-2, figure it being electric that it's just a thin wire running to the foot pedal. and just that little coil wire on the trolling motor. would that free up some room get'n rid of that bulky cable. i'm look'n at spending right around $500 or less. should i stay away from the cheaper motorguide wireless and go with the electric cable free minn kota power drive v-2 in your opinion. just look'n for some advice. oh yah one more thing. how do i figure the size shaft i need. not sure if the one on is even the right length or how far down should the propeller be in the water. it's a bow mount. thanks for any help or advice. good fish'n

jeff the crappieslayer
    why do today what you can put off til tomorrow, go fishing instead!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Ive got the v2 on a 16ft jon boat grizzly with high sides. if you troll definately go with the auto pilot.I would never buy another one without it. Go ahead and get one with tha sonar built in so you wont have to run the debthfinder cables down the shaft. I didnt get the sonar and I regret it. I can troll all day on one battery.

Post Thanks / Like

You can buy minnkotas for alot less than $800. I also would not buy one without autopilot. US2 also makes things easier. Bass pro has a 40pd for $379 and a 55pd $479 you can add the copilot for $149 and wireless footpedal for $179. Though I would not reccomend the wireless pedal, the one that comes with it has an 18 foot cord.

Post Thanks / Like

read the thread "motorguide vs. minn-kota".http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showth...+minkota+motor

Post Thanks / Like

also readhttp://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showthread.php?t=40328&highlight=guide+minkota+mot or

Post Thanks / Like

Default iv'e decided

i've decided on the minn kota powerdrive v-2. does anyone know if you can get one with autopilot with a lower pound thrust? the lowest one with auto pilot i could find was 55lb. thanx for the help

Post Thanks / Like

I would go with the 55lb thrust if it was me. Trolling crankbaits at 2mph takes about 60%.

Post Thanks / Like

Nope, they did make a 40 pd, but not anymore. You won't regret
    buying the 55 PD with auto pilot.
    Billy Deuce

Fried Crappie.... "The real thing".

Post Thanks / Like

Default one more question

Quote Originally Posted by Billy2
    Nope, they did make a 40 pd, but not anymore. You won't regret
    buying the 55 PD with auto pilot.
    yah i just called cabelas and that's what they said. one more question for you guy's. i know you can prolly never have too much power, but as i stated before i just have a 15' aluminum with a 9.9. it would'nt be to much would it. iv'e got a 36lb all terrain minnkota about 7 years old on it now. it's a dog big time! didn't like it when i first used it 7 years ago. not quite as bad if i'm by myself. but usually have a buddy, couple coolers and our fish'n stuff in there and 36lbs is just terrible. thanx again

jeff the crappieslayer

Post Thanks / Like

The 55lb. will surprise you. It'll probably plane your boat at 100%. I have the 40lb on my jon boat and it will snap your neck from a standing start at 100%.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast