Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calling all guides...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Calling all guides...

Hi All,

I'm just wondering if anyone, especially some of the guides have ever fished Big Creek Lake in Mobile, AL? I've been fishing there probably 25 times over the past 5 years and get skunked most every time. This lake is still on the "Good Ole Boy" system. If you're not in with the couple of people who know how to fish the lake then you'll never know. This is a very large lake as it supplies the whole Mobile area with water. I've seen the coolers full of crappie coming out of the lake with sometimes 2 limits in one morning. I'm not one to follow anyone to their fishing spot so thats out of the question but someone with knowledge of the lake would be nice.

I'm willing to pay for the guide service, even more than the normal rate if someone can just figure this place out.

Let me know if anyone is up to the challenge.

Thanks,
    Buzz

Post Thanks / Like

never heard of it...BUT....

Post Thanks / Like

Rick,

I don't think there are any guide services for Big Creek Lake. If there was one, I think he would be a millionaire. I've seen hundreds of people leave the lake without even getting a bite. A fish bite anyway.

So.........Come on down.

Buzz

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about guides down there, but if it were me, I'd follow the guys doin the catchin to see what kind of place they were going to, then leave and go find my own spot like or similar to that one. Don't go all over where they are fishing, just figure out how deep, ect.

If you have to, put some structure in the spot you find, and your success will go up.

PS, when you "see" the coolers of limits come out of the lake, check out what baits on their pole....

Post Thanks / Like

wait...Is that the water supply that you drive over on Hwy 98 coming from Mississippi into Bama...It says something about water supply??!!

Post Thanks / Like

Is This It?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Depends on water clarity, season, average depth of water and other factors. I would start by building some stake beds if it's legal to do. Channel drops or points at cove mouths are good place to start. Of course for spring time fishing a few in the back of coves for spawning is good. But I perfer deeper water as I get fish prespawn and postspawn making the transition. If it's a shallow lake like ours we set most in 6' to 9' water. The channels is our only deep water much over 10'. Nothing helps like time on the water or making friends with a local fisherman who knows the lake.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

This is the local water supply for the Mobile area. You can actually cross the lake in two different places. As far as the depth of the lake, you can find water from 60 + feet deep to areas and whole coves up to 1 foot or less. The last time I went (about a month ago), I found a nice large cove with timber sticking up that looked like the perfect place for crappie. The water was about 15-20 feet deep and the timber was smack in the middle. Sounds good for summertime fishing right? I drowned probably 5 minnows and threw almost every jig in my box and didn't get a bite. This lake is notorious for this. Everything can be perfect and nothing happens. This is why I'm looking for some expert help.

P.s. Rick, That is the lake.

Thanks,
    Buzz
    Last edited by Buzz; 08-19-2007 at 07:53 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Buzz: you need to do some work! Do not try to find out where anyone else is fishing make your own spots. The first question I ask to anyone that I see fishing and catching crappie is, What depth are they at. IF they will tell you half the battle is won. The more places you make the better your catch will be. Crappie are predictable. What time of the year are you fishing? I see a bridge, what is the water depth. Hot weather, the bridge with brush at the pilings on the shady side would be a good place to start. Place brush along drop offs, bends of creeks, along the side of points. Read! About crappie and there habits. People will be fallowing you before long. If you are having trouble finding them, move, move, move. Look for your thermocline line. Notice the fish showing up on your finder. When it is hot, you will notice there are no fish below a certain depth or most of them are at a certain depth. Buy a fishing thermometer and try to find the comfort zone for the crappie. One other thing, bait your brush with something, cottonseed meal, fish food, ECT. Also buy a sack of rice. Spend the first hour going to the brush you think you are going to fish and throw a coffee can of uncooked rice at your brush pile. Then go back and fish them, it helps sometimes.
    Good luck
    Joseph
    Last edited by WhitePerchJerker; 08-19-2007 at 08:42 AM.
    1967/68

Post Thanks / Like

Joseph,

The bridge that you see is in very shallow water plus its extremly hard to get to because of stumps in shallow water. I know what your saying about doing the work. I'm probably gonna start saving some glue buckets from work and make me some pvc condos. This lake has such nice natural habitat for fishin, it just stinks to go out and not catch anything.

Buzz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast