Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Greer's Ferry Questions

Billbob is online now Crappie.com Legend - 2013 Guber Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Greer's Ferry Questions

Heading to Greer's Ferry in early March. Crappie fishing around the Fairfield Bay area on North side. Would like to know if there are many brush piles, standing or fallen timber in that area? Best type of bait to use? Current reports indicate that the crappie are hitting in 20 feet of water. Assume that would still be true if the water temps do rise too much. Are fish being taken from the main lake or is it better to fish the larger coves? Replies greatly appreciated.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Crappie.com Pro Staff
    Guber Pro Staff
    Cane Pole Pro Staff
    Haulin Ash Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

H0wdy,

Are you from AR? I am living in searcy and have fished up near fairfield bay before. I don't remember a lot of brush in the water in previous trips, but what we normally did was put in at devils fork (near fairfield bay) and we would go north across the river up the middle fork. There is debris and whatnot further up the river a little bit. We have had major luck up there before.
    -side note- If you do go up the river, look to the right. There are some huge massive bluffs, one of which I foolishly jumped off of on a previous crappie trip. I ended up having to go to the x-ray room twice because of it. Do not jump off those bluffs.

One more thing, I know tons of people who make special trips to go east of fairfield bay to choctaw landing, in fact if I was to go today, that is where I would go. If you head directly east from the landing there are some really nice coves with some trees. This is the web address to a really small and nice bait shop. I am sure if you are traveling here they would love to tell you a bit in exchange for some business. I always stop and shop there.
    http://www.smartpages.com/home/woodysbaittackle3

Good luck, sorry I couldn't help more.

Billbob is online now Crappie.com Legend - 2013 Guber Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default searcy

thanks for the info. check your pm

Crappie.com Pro Staff
    Guber Pro Staff
    Cane Pole Pro Staff
    Haulin Ash Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

billbob,

I saw a post on the main page that may help you.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Greers Ferry

Quote Originally Posted by billbob
    Heading to Greer's Ferry in early March. Crappie fishing around the Fairfield Bay area on North side. Would like to know if there are many brush piles, standing or fallen timber in that area? Best type of bait to use? Current reports indicate that the crappie are hitting in 20 feet of water. Assume that would still be true if the water temps do rise too much. Are fish being taken from the main lake or is it better to fish the larger coves? Replies greatly appreciated.
    HELLO, WE HAVE BEEN FISHING AROUND THE CHOCTAW AREAS FOR YEARS, THE BEST WAY IS TO LOCATE TREES IN DEEP WATER. THE LAKE IS SO CLEAR THAT IT IS HARD TO FISH SHALLOW BECAUSE OF SPOOKING FISH. BUT IF YOU LOCATE TREES IN 25 FT OF WATER, THE CRAPPIE CAN USUALLY BE CAUGHT TIGHTLINING JIGS OVER THE TREES. GOOD LUCK

Post Thanks / Like

look like this next week should be good from the looks of sum of the post all kinds help needed never been there before live in mid state in

Crappie.com Pro Staff
    Guber Pro Staff
    Cane Pole Pro Staff
    Haulin Ash Pro Staff