Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Side Imaging on Trolling Motor

Post Thanks / Like

Default Side Imaging on Trolling Motor

I primarily long line troll and spend 95% of my time up front on the trolling motor. Just wondering if any of you had one of the new Humminbird side imaging units mounted with the transducer on the foot of the trolling motor? If so, how do you like it? Looking forward to any comments that you might have. Thanks in advance.
    A&R JIGS - PRO STAFF
    LIGHTWIRE HOOKS - PRO STAFF

Post Thanks / Like

I had one of my units installed on the bottom of the trolling motor and did not like it there. The transducer needs to be stable and pointing in one direction. It's hard to keep it in one direction if it's mounted on the trolling motor.
    Have a crappie day!:D [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

they do have a though hull transducer, maybe you could use that. here is the link to it http://www.humminbird.com/normal.asp?ID=799

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t think they make the sideimage trans. in a thru hull. How would this work? I have seen people with side trans. on the trolling motor, but I don`t think it works as well. I turn mine around at the console so I can glance back at it from time to time. When I see something in my front dualbeam I look to get a clearer view on the side image and see what it is. I mostly wanted mine for scouting. Which I do while idling over areas.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys for the help. They do make the side imaging in a thru the hull transducer but I have my doubts about it working like it should shooting through the hull of the boat. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but I think I've decided to keep the one on my trolling motor and if I don't like it buy another transducer for the transom. Then I can get one of the switches and swap back and forth between transducers depending on if I'm wanting to use sonar or side imaging. Since I spend all of my time on the trolling motor, I want the graph up there with me to get all I can out of it. Thanks again for the help.
    A&R JIGS - PRO STAFF
    LIGHTWIRE HOOKS - PRO STAFF

Post Thanks / Like

Not 100% sure, but I think the thru-the-hull transducer is mounted "through the hull", meaning that a rather large hole must be cut in the bottom of the boat and the transducer sticks down some distance below the boat. Side imaging will not work as an "epoxy in the bottom of the boat" type setup.

CrappieDan

Post Thanks / Like

Default Si Xd Inside-the-hull: No, Thru-hull: Yes

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    Not 100% sure, but I think the thru-the-hull transducer is mounted "through the hull", meaning that a rather large hole must be cut in the bottom of the boat and the transducer sticks down some distance below the boat. Side imaging will not work as an "epoxy in the bottom of the boat" type setup.
    You are 100% correct about this CrappieDan. The Side Imaging transducers will not work when mounted inside-the-hull but there is a Thru-Hull (which mounts through a hole you drill in your boat's hull) Si transducer that can be used.

Si can be used on the trolling motor but you must remember that the best images will come from a boat/transducer pointed in a straight line. when you turn the trolling motor you just have to aware that the Si image will appear distorted. Some like and use it on the TM and some don't.
    Greg Walters at Humminbird
    [email protected]
    I help because I can

Post Thanks / Like

I have SI on my trolling motor and would never take it off. Sure it gets a little distorted if your moving it all over the place. But, if you're moving down the side of a roadbed or a row of docks it's just awesome to see the detail.I was fishing a road bed Thurs and found a tree someone had placed on the opposite side of the road I was fishing. It was a new brush pile that I had not seen before and probably would have stumbled on after another trip or two. Caught a good fish off that tree!
    Eddie@Humminbird