Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sinking brush piles in PA?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sinking brush piles in PA?

Is it legal to sink brush here in PA waters? Who would I contact for permission if needed? I plan on adding a bunch of the bambo condos right after ice out. The lake I fish has hardly any structure away from the shorelines, so i think that they would really stack up on this stuff during diff times of year. Any comments?

Salomonski3 Guest

Its so illegal. My father has been ticketed before.

Post Thanks / Like

You need to follow proper procedures, it can be done. Contact whomever manages the body of water you are looking at; PFBC, DCNR, Corps, etc.

They will direct you to the forms and guidelines that must be followed.
    Like was stated before - don't get caught trying to do it under the radar. It's not worth it for a fish.

Bob G is offline Moderator Keystone Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Zig, I had checked into it a year or so ago and what they want and what I am willing to spend differ greatly.lol I think if you don't use crap that will hurt the eco system you should be allowed to sink brush.
    Where are you getting your bamboo from? I think I would like to make a few and sink them myself in a couple of lakes around here.
    Bob Griffith
    Ice Team Power Stick
    Clam Corp. Pro Staff
    Keystone Crappie Association member

Post Thanks / Like

Bob, theres a property not too far from my house that has a big row of bamboo, that the owners dont mind if you cut some down. I have done some work w/ the PFBC and I think you have to go through habitat management to get the proper forms. I dont think these cover small individual projects though. It is really annoying me that its such a hassle to improve habitat in your homewaters by sinking a few brushpiles. Who did you try to contact when you were going to build yours? Did you get anywhere? I am going to attempt to do this the right way, but if I cant get any answers or permits to do this on my own I guess I'll have to keep it on the DL. I have maps I made of the lake i'm going to use that i made myself. I have been using my graph and charting out depths and drop offs on my maps for record. I will also be mapping out all my brush that I sink for future reference as well. It would be a shame though to get a fine for bettering habitat in a lake, WCO's probaly think your dumping debri and its hurting the water, thats how bright some of them can be

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tube4Slabs
    Bob, theres a property not too far from my house that has a big row of bamboo, that the owners dont mind if you cut some down. I have done some work w/ the PFBC and I think you have to go through habitat management to get the proper forms. I dont think these cover small individual projects though. It is really annoying me that its such a hassle to improve habitat in your homewaters by sinking a few brushpiles. Who did you try to contact when you were going to build yours? Did you get anywhere? I am going to attempt to do this the right way, but if I cant get any answers or permits to do this on my own I guess I'll have to keep it on the DL. I have maps I made of the lake i'm going to use that i made myself. I have been using my graph and charting out depths and drop offs on my maps for record. I will also be mapping out all my brush that I sink for future reference as well. It would be a shame though to get a fine for bettering habitat in a lake, WCO's probaly think your dumping debri and its hurting the water, thats how bright some of them can be
    When I moved to SC I called the DNR biologist stationed at the fisheries office on my lake. The best advice he said he could give me was to sink some brushpiles. In fact DNR sinks and maintains a few in the lake. Duke Power, who controls the lakes, has done studies showing how beneficial brushpiles are in supporting the fish population. Seeing boats carting trees around the lake is a rite of spring. The local newspapers had 2 articles telling people to throw their Xmas trees into the lake. Funny how big a difference there is in the point of views.
    One taste of the bait
    is worth the pain of the hook

clubeclectia.blogspot.com

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tube4Slabs
    If its a flood control lake, they try to be cautious. With the pleasure boaters and all running up and down the lake, they fear someone will get hurt when they have to lower the lake level and the brushpile or whatever is only a little below the surface. Good piles stick up 6 or 7 feet off bottom in 14 to 15 foot water. If they lower the lake by 7 or 8 feet..... know what i mean? They will let you put some in but only in places they deem safe. If you want to put it on a channel bend, you better hope that bend is close to shore or out of the main lake. Find dropoffs that are out of the boating lanes or back in small bays. If you do drop some in, on the DL, you may not be able to fish it during boating season anyway, unless you fish it at night . Good luck and i hope everything works out for you.

Post Thanks / Like

This lake is electric motor only(trolling motor) and has no draw down.

Post Thanks / Like

Drop em' after dark

Bob G is offline Moderator Keystone Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Tube, I contacted the Pfbc and they told me where on the site I needed to go. There it describes the types of structure permitted, it gives you the plans that you need to follow and a link to the form that needs filled out and submitted for approval. Personally, I did not want to go thru the hassle and the expense so I contacted a bioligist on the lake I was going to sink the stake beds (Pallets) he was all for it and joined us and took pictures. We told him where we were going to drop them and the depths and he was fine with it. He said that it was a hassle even for them to put structure in the lake because of the fish commision.
    I plan on sinking more on the DL I just need to get a hold of some bamboo. I am also planning on making some of those pvc structures.
    Bob Griffith
    Ice Team Power Stick
    Clam Corp. Pro Staff
    Keystone Crappie Association member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast