Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Double Seat Post Cause Tragedy

Post Thanks / Like

Default Double Seat Post Cause Tragedy

Guys I just wanted to pass on a story that happen to a friend of mine about a month ago. I didn't post it then because of the delicate situation but would like to pass it on now. I want post the entire story but please go to the link provided and read the story. Long short my buddy was running the Ross Barnett Reservoir one morning and hit a marker pole at full speed. He was very knowledgeable of the lake as he spent 2-3 days a week on the water 12 months a year. Point being it could happen to any of us! He had a double seat mount on the front of his boat like many of us do. The seats caused a blind spot and in a split second tragedy happened.
    http://www.magnoliacrappieclub.com/index.html
    B&M Pro Staff
    Driftmaster Pro Staff
    TEAM BAIT PUMP
    MAGNOLIA CRAPPIE CLUB

Post Thanks / Like

Boy, that's a tough story. Best of luck to Billy and his family. This is a good reminder that safety really is the number one priority out there.
    - LOZcrappie (Scott)

I would not exchange my leisure hours for all the wealth in the world. --Comte de Mirabeau (1749-1791)

Post Thanks / Like

That truly was a tragedy Hugh. I couldn't believe it when Monty called me. Like you say, it could have happened to any of us. We sometimes get too comfortable with our surroundings and don't pay enough attention. I also didn't post about it, because I wasn't sure what the family wanted. I've been praying for him since I heard the news. looks like it might be a while before he is fishing again..

pstone
    Last edited by pstone; 08-15-2007 at 09:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow that is terrible and prayers sent from here.

May God Bless him and his family!

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Prayers from Kentucky for Billy, family and friends.

Post Thanks / Like

Ttt
    B&M Pro Staff
    Driftmaster Pro Staff
    TEAM BAIT PUMP
    MAGNOLIA CRAPPIE CLUB

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear of this tragic accident. Will keep him in our prayers.Can understand how it can happen. Was fishing with my uncle once and he clipped a large navigation bouy runnning up the Arkansas River. Did'nt hurt anything but his boat.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

After this happened, I talked with Mississippi Slab and we talked about running on the water at night and almost taking for granted that we know what's out there during the day. This incident changed mine (and Slabs too) outlook on being on the water (we were both out there that day). Billy's a well thought of person round here and I hate that this terrible accident happened to him. Only by the Grace of God it wasn't me, Slab or even you (the reader). I will never go out there North of the yacht club after dark ever again. I know this accident happened during the day and you better bet your bottom dollar that I'm watching everything during the day light hours now.

I wish the second guy would have said something to Billy about the Marker. That's another lesson from this...SPEAK UP if you see something and your headed for it. Don't assume the driver of the boat can see it too. I know it sounds weird. But if you were in a car in the passenger seat and you were headed for stopped traffic at great speeds, you would speak up? Wouldn't you?

If anyone out of state would like to help Billy, please call the numbers listed in the link provided by Mississippi Slab.

And if anyone's curious about HOW good a fisherman he is, go to Crappie Masters and look at the Grenada Tournament for this past year. He won it...with his partner and friend Monty Blunt.
    Last edited by sac-a-lait; 08-15-2007 at 06:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

That is a bad story. It is funny how we do stuff to our boat that can make it dangerous. I say we are fishing....slow down and smell the roses. If it can can happen to someone that is on the water that much it can happen to anyone. My prayers go out to him.
    "Those who will trade a little liberty for a little security will lose both and deserve neither" Thomas Jefferson

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Sad to hear about this. Sure hope all goes well.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast