Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Trailer Hubs...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trailer Hubs...

I'm hoping I could get a good tip or two on the best way to remove a stubborn boat trailer wheel hub. I'm planning to put on bearing buddys but I can't knock off the hubs on there now. I know I can get them off but I'd rather not knock big dents in them if I can help it. I've sprayed the crack with WD40 but it didn't loosen it up. I have a rubber mallot and I smacked them things as hard as I could a bunch of times with not a budge. Tried to unscrew them too, don't think they're threaded either. Suggestions?
    Thanks!
    I have a jig with a face like this!:eek:

Post Thanks / Like

I have to use a chisel most every time. Good Luck

Post Thanks / Like

Are you trying to get the wheel off of the hub, or the hub off of the axle?
    If its the wheels, I would suggest some sort of penetrating oil like liquid wrench, Kroil, loosey goosey. Spray it and let it set for several hours, then try and pull it off. If that don't work, remove the hub from the axle and lay the tire with the hub still attatched to it on something flat, or maybe even block it up on a few sides and then place a block of wood on the end where the bearing buddy would go, and hit with a big hammer. The wood should keep the metal from getting scared or bent.
    If its the hub that you caint get off, try the same penetrating oil and maybe a wheel puller. That way you can keep pressure on the spindle and still be pulling on the hub. We once had to take a small peices of chain and open the links to where we could tighten them onto the lug bolts and wheel puller.
    Good luck with it, and let us know how it turns out.
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Post Thanks / Like

Depending on the sape of the hub grease cap you might try wide jaw water pump pliers. Many caps have a bulge around it that seats against the hub when installed. You may be able to grab that bulge and wiggle the cap off. As a last resort I use a screwdriver or chisel (as blankace suggested) and gently tap it with a hammer, working your way around, trying not to dent it up too much. Good luck.

Last edited by eddiebhome; 08-14-2007 at 04:13 PM.
    Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men...Matt 4:19

Post Thanks / Like

Beat it off with a chisel if it's the caps your trying to get off. After all,,,,,, your not going to use them with your bearing buddies. Besides that, there very cheap to replace.
    I have axcess to a torch for the wheel to hub removal so I use that at times.

GlowGood, does you trailer have trailer brakes?
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

I should've been calling them grease caps and not hubs. I think I'll just take em off and not worry about the damage. I was just curious about any tricks anybody knew of. Guess I know alot more about it now. Never had a bit of problem with my old Chevy.
    FisherMike, no brakes on it. Just a cheapo trailer.
    Thanks everybody for the help!
    I have a jig with a face like this!:eek:

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I tap 'em off with a screw driver using a hammer. Keep rotating around the cap and knock 'em off evenly. Might put very small dents in the rim but doesnt cause any leaks..
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Axcess!!!!!!!!What was I thinking????

Even I can spell access.:o
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=eddiebhome]Depending on the sape of the hub grease cap you might try wide jaw water pump pliers. Many caps have a bulge around it that seats against the hub when installed. You may be able to grab that bulge and wiggle the cap off. As a last resort I use a screwdriver or chisel (as blankace suggested) and gently tap it with a hammer, working your way around, trying not to dent it up too much. Good luck.

Regular old channel locks will work too. It has already been said. But, don't let them things give you a hard time if you are replacing them with bearing buddies anywho.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."