Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Early Crappie

bearclawchris Guest

Default Early Crappie

Hey new to forum. Nice to see that there is one like this. I am looking at The Illinois page and find most of you are further south than I am. Didn't get a chance to ice fish but I am planning on putting my boat in in the next week or so and seeing if I can nail a few crappie. I have never fished in open water this early but I have a heck of an itch to eat some fresh fish. I normally wait until about the first of April to start the fishing . Has anyone had any luck yet?

Post Thanks / Like

bearclaw welcome to the Illini board. Check out the latest update from from Fish21759 dated yesterday (2/21)
    http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showth...7&page=4&pp=10

Where in Illinios are you located?
    Ranger375
    [email protected]
    North end of Lake Shelbyville

Post Thanks / Like

Bearclaw do not know where you are at But I have been going to Sangchris 2 days a week this winter and not doing to bad. Today I think I am going to Lake Chautauqua and try.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Denny, I went to Sangchris yesterday for the first time. I'm pretty new to crappie fishing, so not real sure what I'm doing yet. We fished up by the hot discharge for a couple hours. Got some bites and caught 1 11incher off a brush pile in 3 ft. The biggest question I have is how do they pattern in a power plant lake? Especially that one since the water is fairly shallow, at least in the hot ditch.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Bearclaw. Lots of good people and info on this board.
    Defensor Fortis

bearclawchris Guest

Default Hey thanks for the welcome

I am around Galesburg area. I am looking at fishing a small local lake called Lake Storey. The crappie have been getting better each year there as far as size goes. I know it is really to early but hope I have some luck if I try in the next week or so.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bearclawchris
    I am around Galesburg area. I am looking at fishing a small local lake called Lake Storey. The crappie have been getting better each year there as far as size goes. I know it is really to early but hope I have some luck if I try in the next week or so.
    Hey Bearclawchris, welcome(even though I am from Iowa) to the board. I'm a Northerner to ya! LOL Lake Storey can be a challenge, especially this early, but there are some very nice Crappie in there. Try to find some isolated brush piles along the East banks later in the afternoon. Those will be your best bet for now.

If you have never been over to Lake Victoria(walk in), or Snake Den Hollow(has a ramp), man... you need to go! It is maybe 15 miles from Galesburg, and awesome fising! I've caught many 2lb + Crappie there. Huge Bass & Bluegill too! Check with the bait shop owner in Victoria, IL, he will give you a map of where to go. Luck to ya! <,"}/>{ Rippa
    Last edited by Tim The Lippa Rippa Mon; 02-23-2005 at 04:48 PM.
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

Post Thanks / Like

try the strip mines really good in the victora area... I actually heard from a guy at the bait shop that they have been getting some nice ones at lake story... Hope this hellps ya out a little.. Im from the moline area so know your area rather well..

bearclawchris Guest

Default Snake Den

Hey thanks to all of you for the welcome and the advice. I work with the new owner of the Victoria bait shop, and also had the chance to deal with the old owner over the years. I have never been able to find the crappie in the main lake at snake den. I have only caught one actually. It is close to my home in Wataga and I have had a few decent catfish times there but not good on the panfish . I wish I could locate them because as you say it is also a good prospect in my backyard. I only do catfish and crappie. Wellll.... or bluegill.

Post Thanks / Like

If you like to catfish, you need to become a member at www.catfish1.com known as The Brotherhhod of Catfishermen. I often have a crappie pole in 1 hand, a catfish rig in another. I have found out over the years if you find the crappie, you have also found a good place to catch a big cat.