Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Minnows

Post Thanks / Like

Default Minnows

The Water Temps Are In The 90 To 95 Degree Range On Local Lakes Fish Are 14 Foot Deep And Scattered In In Under Water Flooded Timber. I Can Keep Minnows Alive In Bucket, But When I Drop Them In The Lake Minutes Later They Are Stiff As A Board. Has Anyone Else Had This Problem?

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Go with a plastic tube or a hair fly minnow immitator in hot weather. Save yourself the hassle and the expense. Keep the minnow bite for cooler weather. They keep well in a styrofoam bucket placed inside a plastic bucket.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, that's too hot for tropical fish! Get some jigs.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, you're dedicated if you're out braving that heat. Yeah, I'd say use some jigs. Better be careful though, the plastic jigs may melt, lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Put your minnows in warmer water, the bait house uses cold water and they are dying from the temp change, do not add ice to minnnows this time of year just keep them ararated with your live well or portable areation on your minnow bucket

Post Thanks / Like

We've had highs here in AR nearing 110...even the crappie I'm catchin are coming out of the water ready to eat-just a little salt
    VICTORY IN JESUS

Post Thanks / Like

Ken is right. If you are keeping your minnows in cooled water then plunging them into summer's hot lake water the quick, severe change is what is killling them. Only after my morning's fishing trip do I ice my minnows. The next morning the water has warmed some. Developing a system that minimizes extremes either way will add a little life to your minnows but won't eliminate it completely. Just remember, water temp and the amount of air has an inverse relationship. The warmer you keep your water the fewer minnows you can keep and the greater amount of air you have to give them.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fill'er Up

What I have found that helps is, only fill your minnow bucket up 1/3 of the way with the refridgerated water from your bait shop. When you get to the lake add about a cup of lake water every 15 minutes or so and be sure to ran an areator. After about an hour the water is less of a SHOCK. hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappielimits
    The Water Temps Are In The 90 To 95 Degree Range On Local Lakes Fish Are 14 Foot Deep And Scattered In In Under Water Flooded Timber. I Can Keep Minnows Alive In Bucket, But When I Drop Them In The Lake Minutes Later They Are Stiff As A Board. Has Anyone Else Had This Problem?
    Here in Central Florida I have the same problem in shallow lakes(8 to 12 feet) when the temp gets up. Fortunately we have a few fairly deep lakes with holes 20 to 26 feet. The Crappie are on the rims of the holes, so we have no problem fishing them.
    AG