Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Please Critique me...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Please Critique me...

I have crappie fished casually for a year or so, but have just recently found a passion for wanting to get out and be a good crappie fisherman. Here are my basic techniques:

Using a 10' BnM Crappie pole, I normally tip randomly colored jig bodies with crappie minnows. I use 4 lb monofilament line and I assume the method I use is called "tight lining". I basically slowly drop my jig, while keeping a constant tight line. I then retrieve it about a half foot intervals waiting about a minute in between each time. If that doesn't work then I will get out my crappie pole with the reel on it and drop the jig to the bottom and slowly reel it up. I have had some luck with these two methods. I usually go to where family friends have been catching their limit, But I find that my luck is just enough to get me a few crappie, usually about 5 or so. Out of the five, there are 1 or 2 keepers.

Any help would be great.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

SB, you are "jigging" for fish. That is not my prefered way of fishing but then I rarely have access to deep water lakes. Tight lining is when you put enough weight on to keep the line vertical while drifting or slowly trolling around. In my opinion that is much better as you can cover a lot more area. Once you find them, you can keep going over that area or I believe some people will anchor over that area. I'm sure some of the more experienced people that use this method will jump in here and tell you how to tightline.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I do a little tight lining but I don't necessarily drift or spider rig. I drop into the thermoclime and leave the bait at that location about a minute if no reaction I move to the next location or stump or structure. That is what several of us in the midwest call tightlining. Be prepared to accept bites as the bait falls to the predetermined depth! Line size should be determined by the structure you are fishing as well as other conditions. Example if I am fishing over brush but not in brush I will use 4 lb test. But fishing around stumps and trees I use 6 pound test, but drifting or trolling I may go to 8 or 10 pound test. How and where you fish should determine line size as well as presentation method. My two cents, but wait a minute I think I have a bite.