Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Found my old fly rod..

Post Thanks / Like

Default Found my old fly rod..

Hey all,

I was digging through stuff and found my old scientific angler flyrod.. Now, I had tried quite a few years back to learn to cast with the blasted thing, but never got the hang of it..

Now I'm wanting to try it again, and was wondering if I should invest in new fly line(it's been on there for a good 5 yrs for sure), or just clean the line and hit the yard for some learning time ?? Btw, how do you go about cleaning flyline ?? I seem to remember something about armorall being the ticket for that, is that true ??

Looking forward to your help !!

Tux

Post Thanks / Like

IDK about the armorall, as I doubt it'd be very environmentally friendly, but I'd just get a cheap spool of fly line and practice with it. If you wanna stick with it, upgrade if you feel the need. If there's anyone that flyfishes around you, I'm sure they'd be glad to show you how to cast. That may be the best thing to do, other than practice.

Post Thanks / Like

Tuxdaddy I Remember Reading That The Armorall Makes It Slick So It Goes Through The Eyes Better. They Do Make A Fly Line Cleaner. If You Are Going To Practice I Would Use The Old Line If I Could. The Yard And Driveway Will Work On It Pretty Good. Shame To Screw Up A New Spool. I've Fished With Fly Line Older Than That I'm Ashamed To Say. Good Luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Most Scientific Angler line can be cleaned with a mild soap- no detergents. The line instructions mention detergents may harm the line coating. I use the hand washing Soft Soap myself- just a little bit on a wet cloth will do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cleaner

I just bought some fly line cleaner on my last trout trip. It was the first I ever bought, but I have a reel with line that's 4-5 years old I wanted to clean, as well as several other reel's line that I wanted to treat. The stuff I bought is Orvis"Zip Juice Line Cleaner". It looks light blue in color. I haven't used it yet- but it is specifically made for fly line. The tackle shop owner said it works very well.

Post Thanks / Like

Buy flyline dressing. It will have instructions. As for casting, I would recomend getting a video to learn. Cabella's has one, flyfishing for beginners, I think. I bought it when I first started. Helped a lot. Also, I had a cheap fly rod, $30 combo, and they are harder to cast with. Never did buy a better one, I could cast about 20 yards with the cheap one and that is good enough.
    Brian

Will fish for food!

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried the videos in the past and they just don't work with me, I'm sorry to say..

I'll have to see about getting some hands on from someone..

Post Thanks / Like

Fly rods can be fun and a pain at the same time, I'm thinking of trying a Clouser minnow on mine for them crappie this fall:D
    Gilby aka Bill :D

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Try it out

Quote Originally Posted by gilby1955
    Fly rods can be fun and a pain at the same time, I'm thinking of trying a Clouser minnow on mine for them crappie this fall:D

I fish my Clouser on a 7.5 Ugly Stick under a slip float. Works great. I never could use them dang fly rods. I didn't have the patience. I started reading about the "Float and Fly" technique and discovered you don't have to use a fly rod to fish a fly. The rest is history.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Tux ...

Quote Originally Posted by tuxdaddy
    Hey all,
    I was digging through stuff and found my old scientific angler flyrod.. Now, I had tried quite a few years back to learn to cast with the blasted thing, but never got the hang of it..
    Now I'm wanting to try it again, and was wondering if I should invest in new fly line(it's been on there for a good 5 yrs for sure), or just clean the line and hit the yard for some learning time ?? Btw, how do you go about cleaning flyline ?? I seem to remember something about armorall being the ticket for that, is that true ??
    Looking forward to your help !!
    Tux
    Don't know if I'd use ArmorAll .... but, Blakemore Reel Magic might be an alternative. It doesn't hurt monofilament line, so I doubt it would adversly affect fly line. The silicone in it would also help in making the line more slick, and cast easier. Unless the old flyline is damaged, has serious memory coils, or is brittle from age .... I would think it should suffice for "practice".
    And, if you don't decide to get back into flyrodding ... you can always put a spinning reel on it, and use it for jigging or tightlining

.... cp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast