Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Best way to determine depth of baits when longlining

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best way to determine depth of baits when longlining

What are your methods on the above question? I realize depth is determined by weight of bait, boat speed, line diameter, length of line out. What parameters do you use to calculate a given depth or do you just vary length of line out or vary jig size to change depths and leave the other variables constant. Is there something I'm missing? There is just a LOT I don't know but would really like to learn this method. I know this is a faster way to cover more water and if I see something that looks real good I could hit a waypoint and could come back and fish the area more thoroughly. At least I think(?) I could. Please help--Think I'm getting CONFUSED. ANY help sure would be appreciated. Thanks, Jerry

crappiekid24 is offline Moderator Ice Fishing Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I dont much about longlining. I only long line for perch and for that I maintain contact with the bottom.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure someone on here can give you a better method, but I move over a flat of known depth and watch for bottom contact. If I need to run deeper, I can adjust amount of line out or speed.

CrappieDan

Post Thanks / Like

There is a bunch of variables that come into play for depth as you mentioned and changing any of them can affect your depth. Sort of like dhadsock said, tie on several different weight baits and keep all the other variables as consistant as possible. Start in deeper water and keep gradually moving to shallower water. Make a mental note of which baits drag bottom at different depths. The best advice I can give you is to learn through trial and error. Like anything, the more that you do something the better you get at it.
    A&R JIGS - PRO STAFF
    LIGHTWIRE HOOKS - PRO STAFF

Post Thanks / Like

I usually troll at the same speed and with the same amount of line out. The only thing I change is the weight of the jig.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm relatively new to longlining myself. I do pretty much like the other guys said, I pay attention to which jigs are dragging at which depth and make slight changes from there with jig weight, line length or boat spped till I find what I want. To elimnate all the guess work, though, I have gone to adding weight and pushing jigs off the front. We are only allowed two poles a piece here in Ohio, so we put all 4 in front and add bullet or drop shot weights either above or below the jigs, depending on how fast we will be trolling or where we are fishing. Then you can tie jigs up the line with long loop knots and fish whatever speed you need to and still have a pretty accurate idea of where you're baits are running. And your boat doesn't pass over the fish before the baits. I have seen longlining work great, but when it's not working and I go a while without a fish, I start to out guess myself. Is it boat speed, jig weight, line length, color, whatever? This method just eliminates some of the variables so at least I know where the baits are. It makes it easier (for me anyway) to narrow down what the fish want. But if you really want to get the hang of longlining, ask some of the Alabama guys. Seems they do more of it than anybody else.
    Bob's Jigs Prostaff
    www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

For trolling cranks, On the video's that Russ is talking about in his post, in one of the vid's he says take the lenght of the line you have out, divide it by 10 and add 1 to it, you should be pretty close. ex. 180ft line out, divided by 10 is 18 and add 1, you should be trolling at about 19ft deep. Looks like they were trolling at 1.6 and 1.7 mph.
    Here is the post Russ did. Cool vid's too.

Quote Originally Posted by russ
    Just wanted to let everyone know that if you do not get the Sportsman Channel, you can now see select shows of the Midwest Crappie Television Series on-line at absolutely NO CHARGE!

The website is www.myoutdoortv.com When you get to the opening page, type in Midwest Crappie in the search box and it will bring up 6 shows. These are the full version shows with a lot of guests from crappie.com including Richard Williams, Chatt Martin, Dereck Fulton, and more. We will add a few more shows in the future.

Anyways, I hope you enjoy the shows and appreciate any comments you may have.

SEE YOU ON THE WATER!!!!

Russ
    www.midwestcrappie.com
    Last edited by jlaughlin72; 08-12-2007 at 02:43 PM.
    You can't fish with a hung line!