Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: 12 or 24 Volt for Trolling Crankbaits?

Post Thanks / Like

Default 12 or 24 Volt for Trolling Crankbaits?

I have sold my trolling plate off of my 2 stroke Merc 35. Too noisy and the price of fuel makes me want to use my trolling motor instead. Right now I am still using an old steel shaft 28 thrust Minn-Kota foot control. I usually have to go with the wind to get close to 2 mph.
    My wife and I really enjoy trolling Bandits with the trolling motor, quieter, no fuel to buy, no worrying about lines getting in the motor, ect. I'm pretty sure I am going to replace my old trolling motor with a 12 volt 55 thrust Power Drive with AP. I think that motor on my 16 foot aluminum Tracker PF-16 would be plenty strong without the 24 volts but I will wire 2 12 volts in line to increase the run time.
    I decided on the Power Drive because I could set in the back seat and run it if I was out by myself and see all my rods at once. I'm really thinking about the Auto Pilot, if it works like it's supposed to. Now if we lean or run too many poles off one side than the other the boat constantly changes course.
    We mainly jig brushpiles but every now and then we spiderrig flats just to relax and cover new area. Debra is always complaining "Your catchin' all the fish because you're in the front with all the poles spread out". I told her with the Power Drive she could take the front seat and I could still run the trolling motor from the back. Just my thoughts, what do yall think?
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

That would work but as much as I like my auto pilot I'm not sure it would be good for you. It depends on how much and how long your boat leans as they need to stay within 5° of vertical to work properly. They have a tendancy to go around in circles when they are not. You could always get or add later a co-pilot. Then you don't have to worry with the wire going to the back of the boat.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I'd sell my outboard if I couldn't afford to buy another autopilot before I would longline troll with anything else!!! I've fished two different ones now and they both will occasionally start to spin but it's usually not that often and they are worth the extra money...not much on the copilot I bought though that IBNFISH mentioned....it varied the speed in too large a "jumps" when I had a 40lb motor on the front of a 16 foot aluminum boat...one speed I'd be a little slow the next I'd be too fast so I don't use mine at all...just my opinion though...
    Last edited by AUTiger; 08-10-2007 at 11:00 AM.

Bubba60 Guest

Bandit,

I have a 16ft aluminum tracker that I ran a 30# thrust on for 3 years. I recently upgraded to the 55# powerdrive with co-pilot (no auto pilot). It should be just what the doctor ordered for longlining on Nimrod. I also have the wireless foot pedal and am not nearly as impressed with it as I am the co-pilot. Let Debra have the foot pedal up front and you can still control from the back LOL.

Fellow Arkie,

Bubba

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bubba, I'll check it out a little closer to time to buy but I'm glad to find someone with a set-up similar to what I am thinking about.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

Hey I just noticed this thread and thought I would jump in. I also have a 16 Tracker panfish model. I have a 25 hp 4-stroke and a 43 lb 12v Motorguide TM wired inline with 2 batteries. I have been tinkering with trolling crankbaits around here (I have never seen anyone do it around here). Will I bee going to fast if I just idle the 25 hp or will I be better off trying the trolling motor?

Can you guys post some pics of your boat setups I'm thinking about mounting the rod holders just behind the front seat or pulling the cooler out of the front and mount across the deck.

Thanks

PB Wht. Crappie 2.48 lbs 02-12-2011