Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Spider rig line size?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spider rig line size?

OK what size is best for spider rig rods? Using 16ft rods. And rigging one up with 8 lb test line will that work?
    Also anyone used the red line? Or the line that is easy to see when a fish takes the bait?
    Sure is hard to see that line. And just got old folks glasses 3 weeks ago. But looks like a trip back as I still can not see small stuff good.
    Pete

whiplash Guest

Default line size

Quote Originally Posted by ShilohRed
    OK what size is best for spider rig rods? Using 16ft rods. And rigging one up with 8 lb test line will that work?
    Also anyone used the red line? Or the line that is easy to see when a fish takes the bait?
    Sure is hard to see that line. And just got old folks glasses 3 weeks ago. But looks like a trip back as I still can not see small stuff good.
    Pete
    I have used golden stren for several years {eye problems] works for me ----here in fl. in winter I use 4 to 6 pd.. big crappie but no wood ----in il. in summer I use 10 pd. small fish but lots of wood

Post Thanks / Like

I use 10 lb test and then 8lb or 6lb for the leader depending on water clarity.
    Cheap line for the 10 lb test color would not matter except if you want to see it( I use green) and Berkley Vanish for the leaders.

Post Thanks / Like

I fish alot of open water to light weeds, I use 4 and some times 6.
    To land one of my crappie i need a gaff and a .22 pistal :D

Post Thanks / Like

Pete,

Last year I started a new technique. It is a modification from the one I used several years ago on Reelfoot. I bought 8 cheap (+/-$10ea) SMALL baitcast style reels, you know the 'crappie reels'. I mounted these on 12' BnM graphite poles. I spooled 30lb yellow spider stealth on them. I then run line thru 3/4oz egg sinker then a small black snap swivel. I tie a 8"-10" flourcarbon leaders (8# test) to either #2 hooks for minnows (rarely used) or jigs (preferred method). I made a jig mold from aluminum flat bar that will make 1/40 oz jigs with 2/0 jig hooks.

The heavy sinker keeps the lines tight even when trolling with some speed and at deeper holes. The stealth line is so small in diameter it cuts the water well and stays pretty vertical. The low streach also helps pick up hits. I tie several leaders the nite before to repair breakoffs quickly. Worked real well last year.

I tried the lighter lines but broke off too much. It also got 'slinky' too fast and had to be replaced often. If you try this way leave the lever in free spool and tighten up the drag. Getting 2-3 poles hung up is a bitch unless they give up line, especally in windy conditions.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Dickieboy]Pete,

I spooled 30lb yellow spider stealth on them. I then run line thru 3/4oz egg sinker then a small black snap swivel.

Ain't that tough to break if that sinker gets hung 30 feet deep. What do you do just cut it? I tried longlinning with 15 lb. spider wire and it would turn my boat around trying to break it. I quit using it when I got 3 hung cut my hand and turned the air blue with comment's about a certain fishemans intelligence.

Post Thanks / Like

It IS a bitch. I keep a 1/2" wooden dowel handy to wrap the line around. Either the line breaks or the stump comes up!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up leverage...

Quote Originally Posted by Dickieboy
    It IS a bitch. I keep a 1/2" wooden dowel handy to wrap the line around. Either the line breaks or the stump comes up!
    ...when I striper fish and get hung up I use my paddle and wrap line and use like lever to "clean" bottom..hahahahahaha :D
    Tighten er down till ya strip it--then back off 1/4 turn..
    HEY,,Y'all watch THIS..........

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, I think I will stick with the 6 lb test i'm using now. On my way to the lake and see what the fish are doing lake has come up 2 ft and high pressure on us now.
    Pete