Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: aerator question?

Post Thanks / Like

Default aerator question?

Another question for you guys, thought the old aerator in my boat was bad, wasn't pumping any water into my live well. It would turn on, the hose from the pump to the livewell was clear (I blew throught it and there were no obstructions) I replaced it and have the same problem, turns on but will not pump any water. Do you have to prime these things or something?

Post Thanks / Like

Does your pump pick up water from the livewell or from outside the boat? If it from outside, that line may be obstructed or a switch or lever may not be allowing a valve to open.
    If the pump is just recirculating water in the live well it should not need priming. The impleller on the aerator could be broken from the shaft. The motor will turn, no water will pump. Make sure the impeller is turning. There is a small chance the pump is wired backwards and the impeller is turning backwards.

Post Thanks / Like

the pump picks up water from outside the boat. I am nearly 100% sure that the aerator is sound. Like I said, I began to have the problem with my last unit, then purchased a new unit and am having the same problem. Turns on, however will not pump any water. I think I might check the connection. Maybe I somehow managed to have it hooked up backwards.

Ranger690 is offline Crappie.com Legend and 2021 Crappie.com Man of the Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Next time out try running the pump while the boat is going in reverse. This should force some water into the inlet and might solve a priming problem (airlock). One of mine is always like that. One is fine, one I have to back up for it to prime itself.

Hope that works for you.

Dayton

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger690
    Next time out try running the pump while the boat is going in reverse. This should force some water into the inlet and might solve a priming problem (airlock). One of mine is always like that. One is fine, one I have to back up for it to prime itself.

Hope that works for you.

Dayton
    You can do that or you can try it at home by having someone hold a water hose at the intake while you turn on the aerator. If it truly pumps from the outside, there must be an open shut lever that allows the intake to be closed when you are moving with the gas engine and then opened when you stop. My boat is rigged that way. When stopped with the valve open fresh water is pumped in. When running with the valve closed the same pump recycles the water inside the live well. It does some time air lock but ususally unlocks when the switch is turned off and on several times.
    The problem can be frustrating. good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

my pump is a basic bilge pump that sucks water from outside the boat to the livewell. Sometimes you can hear it running but no water and you have to prime it. It has a butterfly or wingnut style cap on it. All I do is turn it one and then remove the cap just a little and that's usually enough to prime the unit. The unit itself is the shutoff to keep water from just flowing in the boat. Lifting the cap allows water to flow. Just snap it back on when the water comes.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

If your pump is mounted through the transom be sure the discharge is on top of the pump so that it can clear any air and prime itself. Also, keeps the elbow from holding water, freezing and busting in cold weather.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

I had the smae problem. For some reason the pump its self was not close enough to the hull and was above the water line. So the only way that i could fill it till I could get in there fix the problem was to give the boat alot of throtle then turn on the pump and then bring the boat back down wich forces the water into the fitting and once that happens the pump will be primed and will keep sucking water. Hope that help somewhat.
    To land one of my crappie i need a gaff and a .22 pistal :D