Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: color fishfinder versus noncolor one?

Post Thanks / Like

Default color fishfinder versus noncolor one?

hello fellowslabhunters, iv'e been look'n at fishfinders and just cant decide. i would like to have a color one, but if i went with a regular grey screen i could get a little better one. i'm look'n in the $300-$400. i can only find a couple of different kinds with color at that price. i was just need'n some input. wanna get one this weekend. do i spend another $100 so i can get one with color? thanx in advance!

jeff the crappieslayer
    why do today what you can put off til tomorrow, go fishing instead!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I definitely like both and with today's technology both do a great job. One difference I have noticed is that I can more easily see the sonar return of fish inside the brushpile with the greyscale graph than I can with the color one. I suppose the difference is because the color graph only offers a few colors and displays them based on the density of the object. Sometimes a fish is displayed as the same color as a piece of brush. With traditional graphs you get even more shades of grey in really high resolution and it's easier to see the difference in the sonar return between brush and fish. When I turn up the sensitivity on my color graph with the fish symbols on I think I'm getting false readings or I'm getting readings on smaller fish I don't need to see. It's definitely a trade off and something I'm just going to have to get used to and gain more experience reading. I am kinda in the same dilemna. I want a new graph for the back of my boat and I'm trying to decide if I want color or a B/W with a bigger screen.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

crappiekid24 is offline Moderator Ice Fishing Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Color to me has helped with perch fishing. The diffrence between color and black and white is that the color makes it easier to tell the density of the object on the graph. Atleast thats what I found.

Post Thanks / Like

All I can tell you is my experiences - I've only ever looked at one color
    unit in person, on my boat now. It is not a popular brand.
    I love the color, but absolutely can't see it if the sun is on the screen.

I think some of the other brands have this problem whipped, but I'd
    want to look at one in bright sun before I bought it, were it me.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I like color because its cool. I got a LEI 102c and HB 797c. I can see both screens in direct sunlight, but not as good as my old grayscale Eagle Ultra Classic. Color ain't helped me catch any more fishes. I just like gadgets. To me, color is easier to read. I think color catches more fishermen than fish. It got me. I want go back. I just a weekend warrier. I ain't no expert. The tides will turn soon.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

I have an Eagle Fishmark 480 on the bow of my boat. This was second Fishmark, I had a Fishmark 240 before that. This past winter I bought a Lowrance LCX-27C for the back of my boat and that is when I moved the 480 up to the bow. After two fishing trip the 27C went back to Cabela's and I got another 480 instead.

I liked the color, but when the screen got wet it was useless. Too many splotches on the screen from the water drops, and then when you try and clean them with the Lowrance rag they smear, and it takes too much to get them looking new again. If you're like me and fish in all kinds of weather, I suggest going with the grayscale unit.
    GO STEELER'S!

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deep-v
    I have an Eagle Fishmark 480 on the bow of my boat. This was second Fishmark, I had a Fishmark 240 before that. This past winter I bought a Lowrance LCX-27C for the back of my boat and that is when I moved the 480 up to the bow. After two fishing trip the 27C went back to Cabela's and I got another 480 instead.

I liked the color, but when the screen got wet it was useless. Too many splotches on the screen from the water drops, and then when you try and clean them with the Lowrance rag they smear, and it takes too much to get them looking new again. If you're like me and fish in all kinds of weather, I suggest going with the grayscale unit.
    Best thing for cleaning the screens (whether it be color, BnW,GPS, PDA, etc.) is Nice"n"Clean. You can get it at Wal Mart in the electronics department. They look like baby butt wipes. They come in a waterproof container.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking about going to a good color unit but have just about decided to upgrade someday to a lot better grey unit. I am an Eagle/Lowrance user but have had to have several repaired.
    I'm thinking about a Humminbird 565 with a switch box to use the same unit under power and while trolling (stick steering).
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't find the answers you are looking for here, They added another board awhile back for trolling motors and electronics. You may be able to find something there. Here is the link
    http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/forumdisplay.php?f=71
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I am different, but I like the color units much better and can see them in the sun better by a lot. However that is my experience and it looks like other have had a different take.

I have a color unit on the front and back. I use to have a LMS 480 on my console and had a hard time reading it lots of times and now have a LCX 27c and I couldn't believe the difference. I would never go back to a gray unit.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast