Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insect Repellant Tip

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Insect Repellant Tip

Insect repellant will protect you longer if you mix it with Vaseline petroleum jelly. Melt the jelly and stir in an equal amount of insect repellant. The resulting product sticks even when you sweat or fish in the rain, and you are using only half of the insect repellant.:D :D :D :D

I can't take credit for this idea. I saw it on page 91 of the November 1980 BASSMASTER Magazine. I have used that idea for almost 30 years and I recently ran accross the source for it.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

crappiekid24 is offline Moderator Ice Fishing Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing with insect repelent is that NEVER spray near fishing line! It will cause it to go bad. Always spray away from fishing line and make sure its off your hand when you touch fishing line. Good tip Ship! Might do that sometime.

Post Thanks / Like

Get your self a ThermoCell and fish without bugs!

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

don't NEVER even THINK about touching a music CD with one of them "REPEL 100% wipes"!!!!

And, don't ask me how I knwo this...... :rolleyes:

Tommy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skiptomylu
    Get your self a ThermoCell and fish without bugs!
    Hey Skip I've been thinking about geting a ThermoCell do they realy work that well?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappie bug
    Hey Skip I've been thinking about geting a ThermoCell do they realy work that well?
    They work very, very well. Hunting, fishing, camping, sitting outside enjoying a nice evening...whatever. The only drawbacks are it isn't as effective in windy conditions and if you're moving around they're not as effective if the bugs are bad. Drifting or slow trolling, it should be fine. Anchored or shore fishing, it'd be perfect. But they'll take a minute to start working if you pick up and move spots, or if you're trolling fast you may have some problems. The repellent pads last for about 4 hours I think? And the butane cartridges last for 12 I believe. Hope that helps.

But, Ship, thanks for the tip. That sounds like a good idea. Do you store the repellent jelly back in the jar it came from?

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Smooth Lures,

I just keep it in a small bottle (plastic) in my tackle box. When the skeeters get busy, I slap some on and say "Who'se yo daddy" They back off then.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes they are really something else. On a bad bug night the bugs will stay just out of your area. SO much so I have had them staying away and when I turned around to get a minnow the bugs were just behind me and they would cover my face until I turned back around into the protection area.

They work and work well. If you have a larger area you may need 2. Example say you have a 22' or 24' pontoon, there is no way one will do that big of an area.

They don't smell and you forget they are there. If you look from the side you may be able to see a little stuff rising, but it is not going to smell the area up at all.

Get one or two, you will love them!

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Skip, I just have a 17' boat but i plan on geting 2 anyway for ne and dad to use deer hunting I hear they work great for that too. Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Skip, I just have a 17' boat but i plan on geting 2 anyway for ne and dad to use deer hunting I hear they work great for that too. Thanks again!
    Deer don't pay any attention to them, or any other game that I've heard of. You'll love it the first time you cut it on and you can tell the mosquitoes are gone. We have a long and early deer season (Middle of August - Early January) and you just about can't hunt the early part of the year without one. I think they claim they have a 15 foot diameter of protection.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast