Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Need Some Info

Post Thanks / Like

Question Need Some Info

I am thinking about getting the Humminbird 797 si combo. I am looking for some Info from those of you who either own or have knowledge of this unit.

Questions

1. Does it come with 1 or 2 transducers to mount?

2. Do you have to buy a GPS antenna or is it internal?

3. What is the best price you have found & where?

4. Where is the best place to mount the transducer(s)?

5. Do you recommend buying one with the preloaded nav map? I already have a Nav. Hot Map card in my Matrix 87c.

6. Will it also "look straight down" like other units?

7. If you have one how do you like it?

Anyother info would be great!
    :D
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Wiskers,
    I have a 997CSI. I have a couple of so called "buddies" that have or have had the 797csi. There is only one transducer to mount. The side image and the regular sonar comes from the same transducer. The GPS antenna is external, but it comes with the unit. You may need to buy a mount for the antennaif you do not want to drill a big hole in your boat. I don't know where they got the unit at or at what price. I would mount the transducer on the stern of the boat. I believe 80-90% of the people are mounting on the stern. The turning of the trolling motor with the transducer mounted on it disrupts the side image. Your hotmaps card should work fine in the 797. If you plan on fishing alot of different waters out of your region then the preload would probably be worth it. I believe the 07' cards from Nav. are 1' contour intervals and I heard that the 06' Nav. are 5' contours. I'm unsure if this is completely accurate. The unit will also look downlike a regular sonar. On the menu there is an option to have only regular sonar, side image only, combo side image and reg. sonar, you can also use a combo with the sonars/images and your map. I like mine so far but I'm still learning. Check your PM. Todd

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks, hell you gave me more info than the salesman could at Gander Mountain. I got your PM & left you one. You said something about our scheduals? Are you an ol'river rat too? :D
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Wiskers, check your PM.

WALLY MARSHALL PRO STAFF
    CATCHIN' CRAPPIE GUIDE SERVICE
    CREEKS ROD TRANSPORT RACK
    870-307-2572

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the cheapest place to buy them www.jandhproducts.com I bought mine and had no problems with them. Also check out the yahoo group called sideimaging lots of info and users there. Yes they are worth every penny and you get awsome results after some seat time with it. This is a spot with a couple of xmas trees or ceders you can tell by the shadow(loss of return) on bottom.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by TAE73; 08-07-2007 at 04:00 PM.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion