Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Power Trim Problem, Help

Post Thanks / Like

Question Power Trim Problem, Help

I've got a 94 mercury 150 v6 efi/w 4 bolt square trim motor on transom. Went to take boat out yesterday afternoon. Found motor trimmed all the way up. The relays or solenoids under the cowling click, but the motor won't go up or down. Checked and have power leading to the trim motor w/test light.

Any ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

I had one that did that to me, I took all wires loose and cleaned all connections really good then reattached wires and it worked fine after that.
    Brian

Will fish for food!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beenfishin?
    I had one that did that to me, I took all wires loose and cleaned all connections really good then reattached wires and it worked fine after that.
    I've got 12 volts on the wires leading into the trim motor I wonder if i would still need to clean everything anyway. Everything appears corrosion free.

Maybe i'm not getting enough current to the motor. Guess it won't hurt to try cleaning all contacts. Thanks for the reply.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you checked the fluid level?
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shores
    I've got 12 volts on the wires leading into the trim motor I wonder if i would still need to clean everything anyway. Everything appears corrosion free.

Maybe i'm not getting enough current to the motor. Guess it won't hurt to try cleaning all contacts. Thanks for the reply.
    Yep, I had the same thing.
    Brian

Will fish for food!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    Have you checked the fluid level?
    No I have'nt, I probably would just can't locate where the fill tube or the level check spot are. Would that also stop the motor from turning on?

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

No I have'nt, I probably would just can't locate where the fill tube or the level check spot are. Would that also stop the motor from turning on?
    The motor should still run even low on fluid. If cleaning all the contacts don't work here is the test for the motor,

Disconnect the blue pump motor wire from the up solenoid and the green from the down solenoid. Then disconnect the pump motor's ground wire. Using a couple test leads connect the black wire directly to the battery. Then connect another test lead to either the blue or green wire. If the motor is good it will run. The reason it is tested this way is it is entirely possible to read 12V at the motor but not have enough current to run it. If the motor doesn't run it may just be the brushes. They should be at least 3/8" long. Hope that helps and hopefully its just a bad connection.

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help, I still can't locate the place to add more fluid. Can u remove the top of the motor to check it. Otherwise, i'll have to have a hoist to lift the motor so i can access the two bolts on the back of it to remove it.

Wish I knew why they felt the need to put two in the back w/no access, a little more of your knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Thanks IBNFSHN.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help, I still can't locate the place to add more fluid. Can u remove the top of the motor to check it. Otherwise, i'll have to have a hoist to lift the motor so i can access the two bolts on the back of it to remove it.

Wish I knew why they felt the need to put two in the back w/no access, a little more of your knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Thanks IBNFSHN.
    Unfortunately Merc used a couple different versions of your system. From what I read about yours the fill point is either a fill tube that comes off the top of the resevoir or a large fill screw on or near the top of the resevoir. Look for a warning label that says not to back the screw off unless the motor is in the full up position. Sorry I can't be more specific but if you do find it they use either Mercury T&T fluid or Auto Transmission Fluid.

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va