Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yet another trolling motor mounting question.

Post Thanks / Like

Question Yet another trolling motor mounting question.

I got my new motor in yesterday, and plan to mount it early next week, and got a couple of questions.

Do you want the head of the trolling motor to be exactly centered of the boat when it is deployed?

Second question, how far forward should the mount be? It's a Minn Kota Edge. I set it on the boat, with an old towel over the bow, and was checking out where I wanted it. It seemed as though no matter where I put it, the prop was going to hit the boat every time it was deployed, and I don't want that.,

Any pointers are GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks Pstone

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen trolling motors mounted just about any place you can put them on the front,back side doesn't matter. Ideally in the center is right. As far as the prop hitting the boat, sounds like it needs to go down farther if it can.
    just my .02$
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

this i a Minnkota powerdrive mounted on my old jon boat. It is mounted on the left side, and seems to create no problems. One reason for putting it on the left side was that on a steep ramp the motor base would hang on the winch stand.

Post Thanks / Like

I also had an old Motorguide mounted this way with no problems. The mount will have to hang off the bow some for the motor to deplow without problems. Your manual should have some helpful hints on mounting. By the way, you got a good motor there. Hope it serves you well.

Post Thanks / Like

This is the front of my boat, how would you guys mount it?

Post Thanks / Like

Pstone,
    Is that the boat you fish at Grenada in?
    Have a crappie day!:D [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

The way we do it at the plant is mount it on the left (port) side in such a way to minimize overhang when motor is in the up position to lessen chances of it hanging docks, limbs, etc. On bolting it down, use 1/4 inch bolts, large washers, and lock nuts, Stainless if possible. If you don't have stainless, use what you can for now. Let me know and I will send you some stainless. Do you have a 40 amp breaker for the positive lead on your harness? If you need one of those, let me know. If you need a trolling harness and plug, I have one of those also that you can have. you'll need at least an 8 gage harness to keep from starving your motor for juice on HIGH. Let me know if I can help.

kycreek is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Stainless bolts for sure and maybe a thin sheet of rubber between trolling motor and boat. Offset it a little one way or the other.

Post Thanks / Like

Default trolling motor mounting

in the stowed pos. motor should not extend past front of boat, if it is it will hit your boat trailer when launching. Bass pro has a retractable mounting kit that is fairley easy to install heres a pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Wezzer, That's the boat I won in the tournament. Still have the trusty 1436 w/ 15 hp evinrude on standby in case of an emergency though.:D
    Quote Originally Posted by 1weezer
    Pstone,
    Is that the boat you fish at Grenada in?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast