Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GPS questions'

Post Thanks / Like

Default GPS questions'

Ok hopefully the last question about me and my GPS ) I got the north map set for and took off for the lake. Does anyone else have issues with the maps being way wrong. As an example Carlyle lake in IL is huge. There is an old pump silo out in the middle of the lake and it also shows on the map. Problem is when I pulled up next to the silo and then looked at the gps It showed me about 1/2 to a mile past is already. Would this be the map being wrong or is it a possiblity that something is set wrong in my GPS???? Also the cursor never seems to be pointing the right way if I am going slow.

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure waas is enabled. Check correct datum settings. If this does not correct it then, Houston we have a problem. My little Garman e-trex and its map are dead on. I also have a Humminbird 161, it is dead on as well. Both had the map already installed when I bought them.
    THE BANDIT
    1 Corinthians 2:2.----Nothing else counts!!
    "This one thing I know, and that is Jesus Christ and Him crucified."

Post Thanks / Like

WASS was enables and the datum setting is WGS-84 which is the default. Not sure if its a map problem or GPS problem. BTW I have the lowrance H2OC model. Appreciate the response so far

Post Thanks / Like

Mine is dead on most of the time, but there is one place I go to, that when the gps show's I'm at the current bridge, I'm actually at a old underwater bridge. I figured it must be the map.

Post Thanks / Like

When you're out again, press the PAGE button till you get to the one that shows the satellite reception. It also shows you what the accuracy is in feet, or at least how accurate the device itself thinks it is. If it is within 30 feet and your map shows you to be half to a mile off, then I'd say it's the map. I know there are areas where my reception really stinks and accuracy is off by a good bit, but I don't think it's ever been as much as half a mile. Oh, I have the Lowrance H20.
    Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men...Matt 4:19

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Most likely the position of the silo was wrong on the map they used to make theirs. GPS is far more accurate than the maps.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Try Creating Your Own Waypoint For The Silo And See How Close It Brings You To It This Way!

Post Thanks / Like

look in your settings to see if you are running navagation up or direction North up that should clear your problems
    FISH-ON!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Let us know what you find out. That is how good information developes, by sharing answers to problems.
    THE BANDIT
    1 Corinthians 2:2.----Nothing else counts!!
    "This one thing I know, and that is Jesus Christ and Him crucified."

Hardyville Hart Co, Ky,45min fromNolin, 50 min. Green 55 min. Barren 75 min Dale!
    Post Thanks / Like

I have an old Lowrance 100 and when down loading some way-points it had some up on the banks, I think it was the type of coordinates I was using? It was a decimal off all points.
    Rowdy
    Remember This Beautiful World is
    ''Only Temperary Housing''!

Rowdy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast