Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: best chum?

Post Thanks / Like

Default best chum?

Been thinking about anchoring up and trying for some small eating cats and was wondering what chum would be best? I have used soured sweet feed but am open to others that would be better.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

i like using anything that the fish cant eat. Best thing to buy is a blender. Blend up chicken livers and shad so there just a liquid and spread it around where you fish. The smell draws them in and they will find Ur bait. ill fill the blender about half up with small shad and blend them to a liquid and add a little water if i have to. if you bait with something they can eat they will come in eat your bait and leave. feed works good like u said but draws alot of carp and it doesn't take the carp long to clean up the bottom and eat all Ur feed. If you fish heavy current chum in a bag or bucket under your boat and fish downstream of the chum.

Post Thanks / Like

A good and cheap chum is soured chicken scratch.

Post Thanks / Like

I take a 50/50 mix of bread crumbs and corn meal. Add water very gradually, stirring the mix with your hand the whole time. You want the mix to be damp but not soaked. It should also be light and fluffy with no big lumps. Leave it for 20 minutes or so, and repeat the process. This is my carrier.

To the bread/corn meal mix, I add small pieces of whatever bait I'm using on the hook: corn, shrimp, worms, etc. Then form a ball out of the mix about the size of a baseball. Finally, toss it into the area your fishing. The ball will break up on the bottom and form a carpet of food over which the fish will feed. I usually start out with 3-4 balls and maybe add a small nugget every half hour or hour, depending on how aggressive the fish are. Putting in too much chum will kill the fishing. You just want to stimulate the fish, not fill them up.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using range cubes for years. They sink to the bottom with very little drift, melt down in about 10 min. and the channel cats love it. Just take about 10 handfulls, scatter them all around the boat, use either punch bait or charlie blood B about a foot off the bottom and hang on. Cheap, not messy, won't smell up the boat if you drop some, and every cat you catch will be drum tight full of it.
    A gun in hand is a lot better than a cop on the phone.