Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Starter battery

Post Thanks / Like

Default Starter battery

Looking for a good starter battery. Does Delco Voyager make a good starter? I have some Delco Voyagers for trolling motor batteries and they last almost forever for me. they are deep cycle though and the boat I will be putting this in has a 350 chevy with volvo outdrive IB/OB. I've read that deep cycles are a bad Idea for a starter battery but has anybody here tried it? Thanks. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey CF, Delco makes a marine starting battery but I don't remember the model number. I use the Voyagers too for my TM. Wouldn't have anything else.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

i use a delco voyager for starting and trolling . i got some second from a plant hjere some years ago . still using some of them .have 3 starting battries i bougt from coachman plant . i use them now . deep cyckle just holdes longer running power .
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiefarmer
    Looking for a good starter battery. Does Delco Voyager make a good starter? I have some Delco Voyagers for trolling motor batteries and they last almost forever for me. they are deep cycle though and the boat I will be putting this in has a 350 chevy with volvo outdrive IB/OB. I've read that deep cycles are a bad Idea for a starter battery but has anybody here tried it? Thanks. CF

crappiefarmer, I started using a deep cycle for starting almost two years ago and I've had no trouble at all. I was having trouble before with the regular starting batteries,they would only last a year and had to be replaced.
    I just use those walmart batteries with an on board charger, and had no trouble, and I use my boat summer and winter.

spider rig man

Post Thanks / Like

Delcos are good... No maintenance. I've been using a Trojan group 27 dual purpose for my starting battery. Supposed to last longer than an ordinary starting battery as the drain from electronics, pumps, lights, etc. will cause the battery to discharge partially. Dual purpose batteries can be recharged more often before they give up the ghost. Run a search for Trojan batteries. Their website will give you a dealer near you. Cost is about the same as the Delcos.