Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pushing or pulling when spiderrigging

Post Thanks / Like

Default pushing or pulling when spiderrigging

Greetings to everyone. I'm needing some advise. Let me explain my boat setup and why I would like to pull my rigs instead of pushing them. I realize that pushing them is a better approach but I'm already set up with my gps/sonar on my center console in the rear of the boat plus I like fishing in the rear rather than from the front deck. I have a copilot minncota that I can control from anywhere in the boat. I guess it boils down to this, my boat will be passing over the structure before my baits and will this greatly reduce my catch rate. If so I'll have to add another gps/sonar to the front and get happy with fishing from the front deck. Your advise and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Jerry I forgot to mention that I want to mount my 4 rod drift masters T-bars to each gunnell in the rear of the boat.
    Last edited by congenialjerry; 08-03-2007 at 02:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I would say that the catch rat would be higher in the front, although you could prob catch a good many out of the back. Are you talking about longlining out the back?

Post Thanks / Like

Alot of it depends on how deep the structure and fish are. Naturally if the fish are say 8 plus feet deep then the back will be fine because the boat passing over them shouldn't spook them. If the structure and fish are only in a couple of feet of water, than pushing out of the front would be the more logical choice. Just my $.02.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 08-03-2007 at 10:05 PM.
    A&R JIGS - PRO STAFF
    LIGHTWIRE HOOKS - PRO STAFF

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I spider rigging for years and many many times I seen the guy in back of the boat catch all the fish and then it would turn completely around and the one in front will do all the catchin. Go figure.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

monkscrappie is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Nc Board Posts

TAKE A LOOK AT MY RECENT POSTS ON THE NC BOARD! 8/23, 8/26 AND 8/3.
    I USE 1/2 OZ BULLET WEIGHTS AND 1/16 OZ JIG HEADS FRONT AND BACK OF BOAT. WE RUN 18 RODS, 10 FRONT AND TO THE SIDE AND 8 ON BACK OF BOAT. WE CATCH PLENTY OF FISH FROM BOTH ENDS OF THE BOAT. WITH THE BULLET WEIGHTS YOU CAN FISH AS DEEP AS YOU WANT.

MONK WILSON http://MONKCRAPPIE.COM

Post Thanks / Like

From my experiences it all depends on the lake and pattern the fish are in. Pushing and vertical jigging primarly excells for white crappie. Longlining or pulling can be outstanding for black crappie which love to suspend in open water. Some deep clear lakes both species will be caught best by shootting docks. Pushing gives you better depth control and the ability to quickly turn on a school of fish and you also can stop and tightline a school. While longlining gives you the ability to cover alot of water fast picking up aggressive fish. I would rig my boat for both tactics. The extra finder will definitely be a plus in case the other goes out. I like to know how deep the water I am coming into and going out of.

Post Thanks / Like

I have really just recently started trolling a lot. Me and my tournament partner have differing opinions on whether pushing or pulling work best. He likes to longline, but I like the depth and position control of pushing better. Here in Ohio, we are only allowed 4 rods, so fullblown spider rigging is not possible. I have had both methods work, and front or back of the boat don't seem to matter. With the rod limit here in Ohio, I like to get all 4 rods up front to saturate an area and for boat control. I would definitely say though that in shallower water and on those days when the crappie are extremely tightlipped, having the boat pass over the structure before the baits will hurt your catch rate. Have you tried backtrolling or drifting?
    Bob's Jigs Prostaff
    www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

My wife and I both spider rig me out of the front and her out of the back. She catches just as many fish as me. The other good aspects of the back are if you are not limited to the amount of poles you can use you can also run them off of the side and the back. That is the way my wife does it.Also you will be set up for pulling crank baits off the back which is another way to get deep crappie.
    Crappie a holic

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up pulling

Is this what you had in mind? I fish 10 rods vertical, or 10 long line,or 8 trolling from the rear of the boat. Works for me. possum1
    possum1
    Jack Mullins
    Psalms 46:1

Post Thanks / Like

you guys lucky we got 2 rod limit per person here in illinois

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast