Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: minnow tank question

Post Thanks / Like

Default minnow tank question

I have a decent sized minnow tank, it's about 275 gallons. My question is, what types of chemicals can i put in it to help keep it clean? Usually it only takes a week and the water is very dirty.I know the amount of fish in it affects it, but the tanks at the bait shop usually look pretty good. Any help would be appreciated.
    I do have a pump circulating water, and I will try to post pics of the o'le minner tank later. thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Clean them!

After owning abait shop for several years the only way I can tell you how to keep them clean is to clean them on a regular schedule. we had six tanks and we would clean them weekly. You can use bait saver in the tank to soften your water and remove the chlorine and other stuff that minnows don't like. But if it were me I would just buy them a bucket at a time and let someone else worry about cleaning the tanks.

Good Luck

Slabologist
    "Professor of Slabology 101"

Keep your line tight !

Post Thanks / Like

Chemicals won't keep it clean. You need a filter. Google KeepAlive bait tank filter and you should find something. To prevent algae, don't allow any sunlight into the tank.

Post Thanks / Like

Default minnow tank

I have that large white igloo cooler I use for my minnows. They are pond minnows I get from my buddy and I think they are tuffy's.
    I keep about 150 or so all time, I have well water, so I don't add nothing to the water at all.
    Every 3 days I drain about half the water out and while it's draining I just use my hand to rub the sides and bottom, it keeps from getting to nasty.
    That's all I do for mine, it seems to work pretty good, I don't lose many at all
    knock on wood.

spider rig man

Post Thanks / Like

I did what SRM said when I was keeping them here. I kept them all spring, so I could get too the lake faster after work. They seemed to do pretty good, and the tank stayed semi clean.

Hardyville Hart Co, Ky,45min fromNolin, 50 min. Green 55 min. Barren 75 min Dale!
    Post Thanks / Like

I can keep them till tank water temp. gets 75 deg. Don't feed them ! I have Pond minnows( bullheads), and can keep 5 lbs easy its a 300 gallon tank but I only fill about half, Maybe once a week take out 20 gal. and replace it with treated tap water. No feed no Poop!!!
    Rowdy
    Remember This Beautiful World is
    ''Only Temperary Housing''!

Rowdy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slabologist
    After owning abait shop for several years the only way I can tell you how to keep them clean is to clean them on a regular schedule.
    Around here, several of the bait shops have blue water in their tanks. What is the purpose of the blue water? Is it a special kind of water, coloring added to it, or some type of oxygenized chemical that is added to it? Just wondering.
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Hardyville Hart Co, Ky,45min fromNolin, 50 min. Green 55 min. Barren 75 min Dale!
    Post Thanks / Like

It kills the chlorine, that's what I use it also tightens the scales.
    Rowdy
    Remember This Beautiful World is
    ''Only Temperary Housing''!

Rowdy

Post Thanks / Like

Default Minnow tank

Well all my minnows died yesterday from the heat. I got tired of going out in the heat to put frozen water bottles in my tank to cool'em down.
    Oh well my buddy has a pond full of them, when it cools back down I'll start
    up another mess of em.
    Anybody else losing any?

spider rig man

Post Thanks / Like

I don't keep em in the summer. I let the bait shop handle em when it's this hot! I keep em all spring though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast