Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baitcaster line / backlash

baitcasterz Guest

Default Baitcaster line / backlash

I bought my first baitcaster today ( a cheap $20 shakespeare reel ) and I took off all the 12lb line that came with it and added some new line. Well I know how to cast and I know it takes practice but I would like to know what are a couple types of line i could use to help prevent backlashes and bird nests.

I know that cheap lines are worthless when casting baitcasters.

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baitcasterz
    I bought my first baitcaster today ( a cheap $20 shakespeare reel )
    That could be a problem. Occasionally, I think about learning to use a baitcaster. On every "how to learn to baitcast" thread I've ever seen, there is a common theme: don't use a cheap reel! That opinion is repeated constantly in these threads.

The lower end Shimano's in the $100-$150 range are often the recommended beginner's reel.

baitcasterz Guest

Well what type of line should I use for it?

Post Thanks / Like

I use Berkley xl but line don;t prevent backlashes you need to set the brake on the reel for the weight bait uou are useing.

Post Thanks / Like

in my experience, any mono linewill work the same,till ya learn it stay away from "limp" lines all my baitcasters are bigger reels spooled with triline big game line in 15# or 20#......just set the brakes tight to start with and slowly back them off as you feel comfortable.......tried all kinds of line and have backlashed them all,you'll get good at picking out a birdnest i n no time...

hope it helps
    Josh

Post Thanks / Like

I use Trilen XL ,it is extra limp with low memory less coiling=less backlash.Works good on my Abu-Garcia 5500's.Also adjust the freewheeling drag so the weight of your lure or sinker setup pulls your line off the spool smooth and not to fast.Check this by pressing your line release button and let lure hit the ground,and adjust to where spool stops smooth when lure hits the ground.This should get you started and pratice pratice and pratice.
    get d net <*((((((>{ PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baitcasterz
    Well what type of line should I use for it?
    Try Berkeley Big Game. It's a good, inexpensive line. I'm not sure how much it will matter on a $20 reel, though.

This thread is a good example of what I was talking about:

http://forums.riversmallies.com/foru...hl=baitcasting

Post Thanks / Like

I also agree I use to be a avid bass fisherman and only thru bait casters. What kind of line does not matter you can backlash them all. Only diffrence is I ever found was that some lines are easier to untangle once you do get a back lash. Mono was always relativly easy braid was a pain in the butt when I tried it. Like everyone else has said adjust the line spool break. The way Iuse to do this was tighten it up till you could push the button and the lure would not drop at all. Then start backing up the break untill the lure just started to drop slowly. Typically this sets it for the weight of the lure. If you change lure sizes/weights readjust. If you do not you are are going to end up using to much forward thrust when u try to cast and backlash again. Example if u throw a 1/2 ounce weighted lure to a spot then try to cast a 1/8 lure to the same spot u are going to have to make your arm swing that much harder to make light lure fly. the line will come off the reel faster than the lure is moving causing the backlash. Hope this helped

Post Thanks / Like

Braid is the easiest line to not backlash, but it is very visible. It also doesn`t come off the spool as fast so you don`t get as long of casts. If you go with braid YOU MUST USE THE SAME DIAMETER LINE AS THE REAL CALLS FOR IN MONO! If the real comes with 12# mono, you should use a 12diameter/50pound line. I would try a heavy pound mono 14-17# in a good line, such as BERKLEY SENSATION! Also make sure not to try hard long casts until you have control of your line. I agree with the others though a reel with a better braking system can make it alot easier. Also having the right weight/action rod! Good luck rember make easy short casts and practice.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Backlash

Quote Originally Posted by crappie bug
    I use Berkley xl but line don;t prevent backlashes you need to set the brake on the reel for the weight bait uou are useing.
    Crappie bug you are correct about setting the brake according to weight
    and bait. When I was catfishing I would set the brake so the bait/weight
    would gradually fall to the floor of boat when the free spool button was
    released.
    Billy Deuce

Fried Crappie.... "The real thing".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast