Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knot question?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Knot question?

Guys, Have been rigging two jigs on 4-6lb line and have had trouble with the bottom one breaking off. Have been using a clinch knot, leaving enough extra then using another clinch knot. What is the proper way of doing this?

Post Thanks / Like

I think I would use 2 polymer knots rememberinb to wet the line to reduce friction as I dressed them down. Spit works real good!

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I like using those little 1/2" fly clips. Put them on with a palomar knot and never have any problems. Its a lot faster when changing jigs and the fish don't seem to mind them.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Ranger690 is offline Crappie.com Legend and 2021 Crappie.com Man of the Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Bill, what is 1/2" fly clip. I like the sound of being able to change rigs easily.

Dayton

Post Thanks / Like

It is like a small snap that is just a loop that is comes together at the end so you just pop the jig on and pop it off. I will try to find a link for you.

Her ya go I think this is he is talking about. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...results1.jhtml
    Last edited by Kokanee King; 02-20-2005 at 10:45 PM.
    To land one of my crappie i need a gaff and a .22 pistal :D

Post Thanks / Like

I use to use the cinch knot but now I use the Palomar Knot. (Sp?)

The palomar knot is a much stronger knot. Once you learn to tie it you won't go back. I can tie the cinch knot in my sleep as I used it for over 30 years. It take me a while to tie the palomar knot but it's well worth the extra effort.

The jigs will hang ok and if you are slow trolling at .5mph the fish won't mind if they hang a big sideways.

Although you can also tie a loop knot on the line nad attach the jig to the loop. That works also and lets the jig have more room away from the main line.

Some guys use the wire three ways to help get the jig out away from the main line.

Just remember that the more knots you tie on the line the more stress you put on the line and the more likey you are to have the line break.

And yes wetting the line before pulling the knot tight reduces the friction on the line and makes for a much stronger knot.
    Quote Originally Posted by SEMOmike
    Guys, Have been rigging two jigs on 4-6lb line and have had trouble with the bottom one breaking off. Have been using a clinch knot, leaving enough extra then using another clinch knot. What is the proper way of doing this?
    Regards,

Moose1am

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kokanee King
    It is like a small snap that is just a loop that is comes together at the end so you just pop the jig on and pop it off. I will try to find a link for you.

Her ya go I think this is he is talking about. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...results1.jhtml
    Actually these are the ones I use.
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...ainCatcat20166

I guess I used the wrong word "fly". Those do look interesting, has anyone tried them?
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN

I guess I used the wrong word "fly". Those do look interesting, has anyone tried them?
    I have used the "No Knots" before. They are nice, but hard for my fat fingers to get a jig back off of them once it's on one. Also, they have been the weekest link for me on many occasions when I would snag up(I use FireLine). They would break before the knot or line would.

Sometimes the added action one allows your lure is worth the downfalls though. I haven't used any for a couple of years, but the bronse ones seemed to work the best. My 2 cents. <,"}/>{ Rippa
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN

Ah yes. I am familar with thoes. I use them when crappie fish in my tightline rig, I tie it at the end of my tight line rig to attatch diffrent size weights quickly if the wind picks up.
    To land one of my crappie i need a gaff and a .22 pistal :D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim The Lippa Rippa Mon
    I have used the "No Knots" before. They are nice, but hard for my fat fingers to get a jig back off of them once it's on one. Also, they have been the weekest link for me on many occasions when I would snag up(I use FireLine). They would break before the knot or line would.

Sometimes the added action one allows your lure is worth the downfalls though. I haven't used any for a couple of years, but the bronse ones seemed to work the best. My 2 cents. <,"}/>{ Rippa

For fat fingers like mine carry a pair of needle nose pliars. Use the medium size almost weightless and the jig swings free.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/co...knot&noImage=0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast