PDA

View Full Version : Questions about fluorocarbons?

dipn4specks
07-30-2007, 11:26 PM
I am a new member that has been reading for some time but, now I have a question. Do any of you use fluorocarbon line? What are the pros and cons? I understand the line is near invisible and sinks fast. Does this fast sinking keep you from feeling light bites? I am thinking of trying it. Help appreciated.

crappiencali
07-31-2007, 04:50 AM
I used it when I was in California and it was hit and miss. I worked great in clear water but I noticed that it has a lot of memory. I didn't miss many bites with it either. I would look around and find a good line. If I could remember what kind a used I'd tell ya.

crappielimits
07-31-2007, 06:58 AM
I`ve Used Flourocarbon Many Times For Leaders In My Bass And Saltwater Fishing, With Great Results. The No Stretch Is A Bad Thing When You Have A Big Slab It Tends To Put To Much Pressure On The Fish And You Know How Easy It Is To Rip A Big Ones Mouth. Also, After The First Trip Flouorocarbon Tends To Have Alot Of Memory.

deathb4disco
07-31-2007, 08:31 AM
It's useful in very clear water, but it's expensive. I would never spool my reel with it. When I use it (which is rare), I just use a few feet as leader material.

Species
07-31-2007, 08:46 AM
I use it on all my rods, including as a tippet for my fly rod. It does have some memory issues at first, but it does go away. The line is strong and fairly abrasive resistant. Some people have issues with it on spinning reels, but I haven't.

crappiechappy
07-31-2007, 08:59 AM
It's too stiff for me and doesn't allow my light jigs to have the action that they would normally have. Just my $.02.

randybenham
07-31-2007, 09:22 AM
flourocarbon has some advantages & disadvantages.
advantage - no stretch, (feel everything), invisible, sinks.
disadvantage - no stretch (prone to breakoffs), invisible (you can't see light jumps of line), sinks (you may not have the same action)

It just depends on your situation. I've tried using hi-vis line in real clear water, and not caught a fish, so in clear water, I would use it. I think if you have your drag set loose, you shouldn't have too many breakoffs. I'm a fan of fluorocarbon.

fished-out
07-31-2007, 10:58 AM
I spool it in clear lakes (anything with visability over 2'); otherwise, I don't see the need. I also use it as leader material on bobber rigs at all times-no reason not to, as 2' or so is not that costly. I've used several kinds and prefer the Seagar--seems to have a little less memory.

SkyChimp
08-02-2007, 09:50 PM
There's a comparison of fluoros on the internet that suggest many fluoros stretch just as much as monos.

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewfluorocarbontest.html
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewfluorocarbon2.html

I had a light spinning outfit and a heavier spinning outfit spooled with Seaguar InvizX 100% fluoro. I used it for awhile but found it to be extremely rigid and springy. I eventually took it off the reels and used it for leader material when I switched to Stren Sinking Braid. But the Sinking Braid had the opposite problem - it was too limp, and tangled and knotted relentlessly. It didn't sink any better than regular braid, and it was highly visible in water.

Now I'm using Stren Magnathin and haven't looked back. It's very manageable on spinning outfits and has satisfactory abrasion resistance.

slabbandit
08-02-2007, 09:57 PM
I use Stren Hi-Vis yellow so I can watch my line as I jig fish. I'm still looking for a good 4 lb. line for my spinning reels. So far I like Trylene XL. But I am still looking for a great casting line that will sink very well as I usually am casting 1/8 oz. Sliders as deep as 10 to 12 feet.

dipn4specks
08-05-2007, 10:21 PM
Thanks for your help fellas. I'm gonna buy three types based on the info yuo've provided and do a little research. Will reply with results.

Cooter
08-06-2007, 02:15 PM
Here is a good article on fluorocarbon lines:

http://www.crappiefishingusa.com/Fluorocarbon.htm

I've tried a few different lines, and they all have pros and cons to them. So far, I'm sticking with the Berkley Vanish. Make sure you re-tie your jigs often.
Cooter

SkyChimp
08-06-2007, 08:20 PM
AN40 Silver Thread seems to be highly regarded line. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen a bad review. I see it in BPS's bargain bin all the time for under $2 a spool.

NJcrappie
08-06-2007, 08:46 PM
I tried lots of line, high end lines and keep going back to AN40. Its sure is priced right.

Knappy
08-07-2007, 11:06 AM
I use the berkley transition gold. buy it from cabelas in a 2000 yd spool--my reels are small spinners--it will last quite a while for me--and i Love it--one of the fellas that fishes with me(matthew) he used some old cheap 4lb test mono and he has troubles that i dont have. but anyway you can't tell him anything anyway!!!!!!! I like it. Knapp

SkyChimp
08-08-2007, 07:27 PM
Has anyone tried Stren's new fluoro?

http://www.stren.com/dimg/f59563de9828ecad004cd6710945b87d.jpg

gabowman
08-08-2007, 08:25 PM
I've tried 3 or 4 lines (all 4 lb. test) for night stalking crappie using minnows and am going back to Berkley Transition flourocarbon on all my reels. This line does hold memory quicker than Stren and Triline but the flourocarbon seems stronger and less brittle near the hook after using it for awhile. Because of memory problems I am just planning on respooling a few times per year on my reels. It isnt that bad for tightlining. I use a filler line on my spools and only add around 100' of flourocarbon per reel.

Tom O
08-08-2007, 09:12 PM
I use a 6# copolymer line made by Mcoy for backer with 18" of florocarbon leader that is gamma edge 100% in the 8.2# its nice to have that invisible, tough, heavy weight line on the end, and a medium strech good casting line to fight the fish. And i always out fish the other guys i fish with that use mono lines. Also most of the lakes i fish are fairly clear.