Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about fluorocarbons?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Questions about fluorocarbons?

I am a new member that has been reading for some time but, now I have a question. Do any of you use fluorocarbon line? What are the pros and cons? I understand the line is near invisible and sinks fast. Does this fast sinking keep you from feeling light bites? I am thinking of trying it. Help appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

I used it when I was in California and it was hit and miss. I worked great in clear water but I noticed that it has a lot of memory. I didn't miss many bites with it either. I would look around and find a good line. If I could remember what kind a used I'd tell ya.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve Used Flourocarbon Many Times For Leaders In My Bass And Saltwater Fishing, With Great Results. The No Stretch Is A Bad Thing When You Have A Big Slab It Tends To Put To Much Pressure On The Fish And You Know How Easy It Is To Rip A Big Ones Mouth. Also, After The First Trip Flouorocarbon Tends To Have Alot Of Memory.

Post Thanks / Like

It's useful in very clear water, but it's expensive. I would never spool my reel with it. When I use it (which is rare), I just use a few feet as leader material.

Post Thanks / Like

I use it on all my rods, including as a tippet for my fly rod. It does have some memory issues at first, but it does go away. The line is strong and fairly abrasive resistant. Some people have issues with it on spinning reels, but I haven't.
    -Matt

Post Thanks / Like

It's too stiff for me and doesn't allow my light jigs to have the action that they would normally have. Just my $.02.
    A&R JIGS - PRO STAFF
    LIGHTWIRE HOOKS - PRO STAFF

Post Thanks / Like

flourocarbon has some advantages & disadvantages.
    advantage - no stretch, (feel everything), invisible, sinks.
    disadvantage - no stretch (prone to breakoffs), invisible (you can't see light jumps of line), sinks (you may not have the same action)

It just depends on your situation. I've tried using hi-vis line in real clear water, and not caught a fish, so in clear water, I would use it. I think if you have your drag set loose, you shouldn't have too many breakoffs. I'm a fan of fluorocarbon.

Post Thanks / Like

I spool it in clear lakes (anything with visability over 2'); otherwise, I don't see the need. I also use it as leader material on bobber rigs at all times-no reason not to, as 2' or so is not that costly. I've used several kinds and prefer the Seagar--seems to have a little less memory.

Post Thanks / Like

There's a comparison of fluoros on the internet that suggest many fluoros stretch just as much as monos.

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewfluorocarbontest.html
    http://www.tackletour.com/reviewfluorocarbon2.html

I had a light spinning outfit and a heavier spinning outfit spooled with Seaguar InvizX 100% fluoro. I used it for awhile but found it to be extremely rigid and springy. I eventually took it off the reels and used it for leader material when I switched to Stren Sinking Braid. But the Sinking Braid had the opposite problem - it was too limp, and tangled and knotted relentlessly. It didn't sink any better than regular braid, and it was highly visible in water.

Now I'm using Stren Magnathin and haven't looked back. It's very manageable on spinning outfits and has satisfactory abrasion resistance.
    Regards,
    Rowland

Post Thanks / Like

I use Stren Hi-Vis yellow so I can watch my line as I jig fish. I'm still looking for a good 4 lb. line for my spinning reels. So far I like Trylene XL. But I am still looking for a great casting line that will sink very well as I usually am casting 1/8 oz. Sliders as deep as 10 to 12 feet.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast