Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running Time meter

Post Thanks / Like

Default Running Time meter

I just got my boat back from the dealer after he did a little work for me. Someone left the key on and run the battery down, but what ticked me off was the running time meter had a new 390 hours on it. A total of 650 hours now showing when it really has only 260 hours on the motor in 5.5 years...

390 hours is more than 5 years use for me.. I may have to purchase another one at $75 and just let it run for 260 hours and then install it in the boat.

Has anyone tried to turn the hours back by reverseing the power leads to their meter. The meters that I've played with from the military wouldn't run backwards..

Gerald K4NHN
    Cayce, SC
    Gerald K4NHN
    Cayce, SC

monkscrappie is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Computer Hours

MOST LATE MODEL OUTBOARDS THAT HAVE THE ABILITY TO BE HOOKED TO A COMPUTER WILL GIVE ACTUAL RUN TIMES. CHECK WITH YOUR DEALER TO SEE IF HE CAN HOOK YOUR ENGINE TO A LAPTOP TO GIVE YOU ACCURATE HOURS ON THE ENGINE. CHECK WITH THE GAGE MANUFACTURER TO SEE IF YOU CAN RESET THE HOUR GAUGE.

MONK WILSONhttp://MONKSCRAPPIE.COM

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Gerald,

I fixed that timer problem on my "MULE" with a relay and a diode. Same can be done with the boat TIMER. You want my circuit?
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole
    Gerald,

I fixed that timer problem on my "MULE" with a relay and a diode. Same can be done with the boat TIMER. You want my circuit?
    Hey Tom, I'd like to see that. Have you got it so it only works with the motor running?
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    Hey Tom, I'd like to see that. Have you got it so it only works with the motor running?
    Yep.

Post Thanks / Like

Bill,

Here is a rough sketch I just made of the circuit. It is pretty simple as you can see.

The relay operates when the start/run switch is in the start position and is held operated through its own contact via the run wire. When the switch is turned off the relay releases, opening the path to the hour meter and the relay. The diode blocks voltage from the run position from getting to the start position.

Tom
    Last edited by Cane Pole; 09-11-2009 at 06:40 PM.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Bill,

Here is a rough sketch I just made of the circuit. It is pretty simple as you can see.

The relay operates when the start/run switch is in the start position and is held operated through its own contact via the run wire. When the switch is turned off the relay releases, opening the path to the hour meter and the relay. The diode blocks voltage from the run position from getting to the start position.

Tom
    All right. I see what you are doing. That would only need a little bitty relay.

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

All right. I see what you are doing. That would only need a little bitty relay.
    Bill,

This is a pseudo run circuit. It is not failsafe. It depends on the start switch being turned
    off (after a start has been initialized) to release the run relay.

The only failsafe circuit would be to monitor the tach output which would require a lot of different circuits.

This is a stopgap fix that will work most of the time.

The Mule required the switch to be “on” to turn on the accessories such as the radio, cigarette lighter, hour meter, etc.

Yep about the relay.

Post Thanks / Like

Bill,

This is a pseudo run circuit. It is not failsafe. It depends on the start switch being turned
    off (after a start has been initialized) to release the run relay.

The only failsafe circuit would be to monitor the tach output which would require a lot of different circuits.

This is a stopgap fix that will work most of the time.

The Mule required the switch to be “on” to turn on the accessories such as the radio, cigarette lighter, hour meter, etc.

Yep about the relay.
    A simpler way would be to install the meter as directed but run the ground to a pressure sensor in the water circuit. Some outboards are already tapped for water pressure gauges.

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

A simpler way would be to install the meter as directed but run the ground to a pressure sensor in the water circuit. Some outboards are already tapped for water pressure gauges.

I didn't know this. I am not up to date on the marine stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast